Quote:
Well, my list is now growing to include

RIRs (my son wants them)
Barred Rocks
BOs
Easter Egg
Partridge Rocks
Speckled Sussex

I had already been eyeing the SS and when I used the MyPetChicken helper, these came up. I think they are so cool looking! At this rate, I am looking at 2-3 of every variety. Is that weird?

If you can brain storm with your friend on which breeds she is interested in and agree on certain breeds, buy an even amount of each breed then split the similar looking ones down the middle. Say each of you takes 3 of each type and order 6 of everything.

But I would still suggest some meat birds and some layers. That fills the order and doesn't leave you with too many. Since you have already raised the meat birds, it will be like a torture to have to keep waiting waiting waiting for that first egg! I know it was for me!

Hi Still Learning:

I struggled with the same issue (which variety of egg layers to get) a few weeks ago. I did a lot of research and settled on the majority of my hens being RIR. They seem to have a good reputation for the hens being friendly, really good egg layers, and do well in cold areas.

(I also order a few of several other varieties for looks, etc.: Rose Comb Brown Leghorns, Anconas, and a Barred Rock hen)....

Bullwinkle

(My babies are supposed to be delivered the week of February 16th....)

Me, my sister, and a another lady named Ruth went in on a batch of 106 chicks from McMurray. Ruth had the most of them, I have 12 and my sister had 4. By phoning in the order, they were okay with marking what chicks belonged to who, just ask them, where ever you order them from. It will be great because I'll be keeping my sisters chicks until she comes to get them.

Howdy from another mama of 6 kiddos.

I've had hatchery buff orps, and they were my worst pickers. They were pretty cannibalistic, and everyone in the hen house was bald. They free ranged, so space was not an issue.

I've had hatchery RIR's, and only kept them for about 15 weeks. They were racist, and were picking on everyone else. As long as they were in the hen house, it was chaotic. Most everyone (besides the RIR's) was missing tail feathers. I'd see them run past another bird, and grab a random beak full of feathers. When I sold them, that behavior was gone and it's been peaceful since.

I love my hatchery BR's. They're calm, friendly, and have a lot of personality. My 9 and 10yo's claimed my two BR's as their personal pets, named them Barbara and Babs, and they adore them. They are very dependable layers as well.

I love my polish, but at 6 and 7 months old, I don't think I've had an egg from them yet. They're pretty, but I think I'll just keep these few as eye candy and not order any more.

I LOVE my golden-laced wyandotte. She's massive, beautiful, and laying pretty consistently. She's 6 months old, and my favorite of all my egg girls. She's not as friendly yet as the barred rocks, who are 4 months older than her, but I think the friendliness will come as she matures a bit.

I've also got one black australorp, who is consistently laying the darkest eggs in my coop. She's also 6 months, and she's beautiful the way she shines in the sunshine. I'm really growing very fond of her.

I've ALSO got some bantam cochins, and they're delightful. They're only 14 weeks old, and so they're not laying yet, but they're VERY calm and friendly. Their personality just might turn out to be my favorite. I would recommend them to any family who wants friendly, sweet birds. Their eggs will be small, but I didn't buy them for laying. I got them specifically to be broody, so I can rely on someone to keep us in chicks. I don't know if I can wait for them to grow up before I hatch, so I'm working on getting stuff together to build an incubator.

And I can't not mention my Easter eggers. I love getting their green eggs, and they're laying about every day. They're calm, and relatively shy. Every flock needs EE's.

I'm turning into a hopeless, chicken-addicted woman. Good thing my hubby loves me so much!

I had the same requirements as you and after hours of research chose Speckled Sussex and EEs (Araucana/Ameracauna). For the brown egg layers, it had come down to Black Australorps and Speckled Sussex and I finally picked based on looks.
roll.png

Barred Rocks were serious contenders, but I read one too many stories of them bullying the other non-BR chickens. If I hadn't wanted the EEs, I probably would have gotten the Barred Rocks, though. (I also considered Buff Orpingtons but read a lot of stories of them being the *victims* of bullying by other chickens.)

Hopefully, my SSs and EEs get along well together and produce tasty eggs. And maybe later, I'll add something fancier!

Last edited:
The ones you're thinking of would potentially be great choices. Nurture does a lot to personality too, so do a lot of holding and petting and talking to them (I'm sure this won't be hard!).

Just wanted to say: We ordered straight run Buff Os last year, planning to eat whichever turned out to be roos. In the same order, we also ordered Easter Egger pullets.

Since we knew we wouldn't be eating them, we handled, played with and talked to the EEs more. Result: we have friendly Easter Eggers and one rather shy and skittish Buff (the only lonely hen in my "straight run" Buff order). She's a good girl, and I'll be getting more company for her this year. Plus, ahem, a few other birds. But I am not addicted.

Have fun, it will all be fine.

Back
Top Bottom