Help me choose the right breed?!

hannahrose894

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 20, 2010
West Lafayette
I am a total newbie at chickens, and am trying to decide which breed would be right for me. I have researched a while online and came up with a list, but I don't know where to go from there! I am looking to buy to hens for egg production (preferably brown eggs, but that doesn't really matter) that are fairly calm, are very winter-hardy, can do fairly well in a smaller grazing area (my backyard) and are fun and maybe even good around children. I live in northern Indiana where the weather fluxuates greatly, and will not be able to heat their coop. THis is what I have come up with so far:
Welsummer
Ameraucana
Australorp
Barnevelder
Delaware
Dominique
Araucana
Orpington
Plymouth Rock
Rhode Island
Star
Sussex
Wyandotte

Any suggestions or comments would be amazingly appreciated!!

all of those birds are good brown egg layers. one thing that can be a concern in the winter is large combs getting frostbite. I love my wynadottes, and sussex, My dom just hatched two ducks. we have an orpington that is 5 and still lays every other day. my daughter totes them all around.

Barred Rocks are great layers of brown eggs, and though temperment varies with indavidual birds, I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with this breed. They lay GREAT through winter/snow, and are cold hardy. The one's I have had are very friendly, and calm around my 5 year old nephew and his various friends. I would definately look into Barred Plymouth Rocks (Probably Plymouth Rocks, but I love the barring color)

P.S. I also live in Sacramento, and lived in Grass Valley where summers were VERY warm/hot and my Barred Rocks did great in both hot weather and cold.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I have all of those breeds except for 3. I have other breeds also. Mine all weather the cold well.I agree with the post before me, though, the lg combs do tend to get frostbite. I think I read somewhere to put vaseline on lg combs to keep them from frostbite. I don't heat my coop either. (I live in Pa.) You should see how they scrunch together in the winter to keep warm.
One hint, use a 2 x 4 for their roosts. That way they can keep their feet warm by covering them with their feathers.

Jen

I am also new to chicken keeping. I wanted chicks that would be friendly with my kids, good at free-ranging, and at least moderate egg-layers. My potential candidates after doing some research were: Barred Rock (Plymouth), Speckled Sussex, Welsummer, Easter Eggers, Buff Orpington, Australorp, & Brahmas. The last 3 have a reputation for being more prone to broodiness, so they were lower on my list.

Just this week, I got 8 day-old chicks: 6 Speckled Sussex & 2 Welsummer. Since I had to special order a minimum of 5 chicks each, I decided to just get 2 breeds (they ended up having fewer Welsummer & an extra SS when our order shipped). I decided to get the less common varieties, since I was special ordering. They are only 4 days old, but so far they are very cute, active & inquisitive.

I have been tempted to add some of the other varieties right away, but I am trying to restrain myself until next year. We have limited space in our coop. Although from reading this site, it seems that building a bigger coop is always an option
smile.png

I agree with what others have said about the Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks. I would also add Australorp as a good choice. Ours has become a real sweetie. My wife even took her to school one day to use in a biology lecture and passed her around class to be petted by her students. She didn't mind at all. Of course individuals will vary but the breed temperament part of the breed section on this site has been fairly accurate for us so far.

Here's a video of our Australorp a few weeks ago

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi hannahrose894

I would go with the Wyandotte breed as they have the rose comb. You may want to look into the Chantecler breed as they are a very winter-hardy breed also.

Long Horn Poultry Farm

Last edited:
What a great list, I have a variety of chickens also and love them all for various reasons. But I'd say get 2-3 of Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, Plymouth Rocks (I have white and barred), Barnevelder, and Wyandottes. All are great birds that lay wonderfully and will be beautiful in your back yard. With a variety of colors and lay colored eggs.

Good luck in your decision.

Back
Top Bottom