Help me choose the right breed?!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hannahrose894, May 20, 2010.

1. hannahrose894

hannahrose894 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    West Lafayette
    I am a total newbie at chickens, and am trying to decide which breed would be right for me. I have researched a while online and came up with a list, but I don't know where to go from there! I am looking to buy to hens for egg production (preferably brown eggs, but that doesn't really matter) that are fairly calm, are very winter-hardy, can do fairly well in a smaller grazing area (my backyard) and are fun and maybe even good around children. I live in northern Indiana where the weather fluxuates greatly, and will not be able to heat their coop. THis is what I have come up with so far:
    Welsummer
    Ameraucana
    Australorp
    Barnevelder
    Delaware
    Dominique
    Araucana
    Orpington
    Plymouth Rock
    Rhode Island
    Star
    Sussex
    Wyandotte

Any suggestions or comments would be amazingly appreciated!!

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    all of those birds are good brown egg layers. one thing that can be a concern in the winter is large combs getting frostbite. I love my wynadottes, and sussex, My dom just hatched two ducks. we have an orpington that is 5 and still lays every other day. my daughter totes them all around.

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Barred Rocks are great layers of brown eggs, and though temperment varies with indavidual birds, I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with this breed. They lay GREAT through winter/snow, and are cold hardy. The one's I have had are very friendly, and calm around my 5 year old nephew and his various friends. I would definately look into Barred Plymouth Rocks (Probably Plymouth Rocks, but I love the barring color)

P.S. I also live in Sacramento, and lived in Grass Valley where summers were VERY warm/hot and my Barred Rocks did great in both hot weather and cold. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Ameraucana and Araucana do not lay brown eggs.
    Given your list of wants I think the Buff Orpington is your best bet.
    Good Luck!

5. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:I have all of those breeds except for 3. I have other breeds also. Mine all weather the cold well.I agree with the post before me, though, the lg combs do tend to get frostbite. I think I read somewhere to put vaseline on lg combs to keep them from frostbite. I don't heat my coop either. (I live in Pa.) You should see how they scrunch together in the winter to keep warm.
    One hint, use a 2 x 4 for their roosts. That way they can keep their feet warm by covering them with their feathers.

Jen

6. jenn-E

jenn-E Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    I am also new to chicken keeping. I wanted chicks that would be friendly with my kids, good at free-ranging, and at least moderate egg-layers. My potential candidates after doing some research were: Barred Rock (Plymouth), Speckled Sussex, Welsummer, Easter Eggers, Buff Orpington, Australorp, & Brahmas. The last 3 have a reputation for being more prone to broodiness, so they were lower on my list.

Just this week, I got 8 day-old chicks: 6 Speckled Sussex & 2 Welsummer. Since I had to special order a minimum of 5 chicks each, I decided to just get 2 breeds (they ended up having fewer Welsummer & an extra SS when our order shipped). I decided to get the less common varieties, since I was special ordering. They are only 4 days old, but so far they are very cute, active & inquisitive.

I have been tempted to add some of the other varieties right away, but I am trying to restrain myself until next year. We have limited space in our coop. Although from reading this site, it seems that building a bigger coop is always an option [​IMG]

7. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    I agree with what others have said about the Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks. I would also add Australorp as a good choice. Ours has become a real sweetie. My wife even took her to school one day to use in a biology lecture and passed her around class to be petted by her students. She didn't mind at all. Of course individuals will vary but the breed temperament part of the breed section on this site has been fairly accurate for us so far.

Here's a video of our Australorp a few weeks ago

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  8. Long Horn Poultry Farm

Long Horn Poultry Farm La Fleche ~The Devil Bird

Jan 25, 2010
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Quote:Hi hannahrose894

I would go with the Wyandotte breed as they have the rose comb. You may want to look into the Chantecler breed as they are a very winter-hardy breed also.

Long Horn Poultry Farm

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    You need Buff Orpingtons. [​IMG]
    They are very kid friendly, very good layers of large brown eggs. Are very broody and cold hardy. I Love mine!

10. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    What a great list, I have a variety of chickens also and love them all for various reasons. But I'd say get 2-3 of Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, Plymouth Rocks (I have white and barred), Barnevelder, and Wyandottes. All are great birds that lay wonderfully and will be beautiful in your back yard. With a variety of colors and lay colored eggs.

Good luck in your decision.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by