Help me choose, winter hardy breeds.

How about RIR's they are great layers and have a good disposition. And are winter hardy mine are laying almost every day and it has been pretty cold and wet here.

Well, I think with only 4 to be able to get I am going to go with Aracauna, Buff Orp, Golden Comet, and Silver Laced Wyandotte. I had thought about a RIR, but being similar in color to the Golden Comet, I would like a varied flock. I think in appearance this should be an extremely varied flock, allow for good egg production, and with the buff orp give me a probable brooder for later to hatch eggs when I can have more. Thanks for all the input and please let me know if I am crazy to combine all these.

Ok, so now my choice is between a golden comet and a Rhode Island Red. Please let me know what your thoughts are on egg laying longevity, temperment, and looks.

I can't say enough about BO, PR, SLW, BR, RIR. They are all really good winter layers, the araucauna's on the other hand they have weeks when they don't lay at all during the cold winters. Good luck on your decision.

Back
Top Bottom