Help me collect data on Cornish Mortality rates please

addictedtochickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 6, 2010
I am doing a science fair project and have had terrible luck with my Cornish Broilers. I do not think I did anything wrong but they just kept dying. In the end, I had 50 percent die. I was just wondering what stats were with other people raising Cornish. I would like to use the data I collect to determine an average of Cornish Mortality. Thank you.

With 50% mortality, you did something wrong. I don't want to sound blunt... but that's not normal. Without knowing how you raised them, what they were fed, ect. it's hard to know exactly what happen.

4% is what you want to shoot for but it's hard to accomplish without knowing what you're doing. I sometimes have loses as high as 15-20% and then I have batches that are 1-2%.

Someone else will have to do the math for me, but I started with 32 chicks. I lost 2 at 3 wks due to piling, my fault. I processed 1 at about 6wks that wasnt' doing well. I lost 1 at 8wks due to ?. I sent 18 to freezer camp right before Thanksgiving. I've got 10 more coming up on 12wks I still need to get to.

If I get my remaining ones done this week, I will have gotten 29 out of 32 successfully off to freezer camp. The one I processed at 6 wks wouldn't have made it much longer though.

sounds like you would have had a 100% success rate, if not for the piling (didn't provide enough heat?), and the CX as far as I know are a 6-8 week bird (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so processing 1 at 6 weeks is within the range.
So, the breed itself did wonderfully, nice to know, since I'm considering a meat bird soon.

I had just moved them outside and I was worried about it being too cold for them. I put an overturned tub in for them to get into. Should have left them alone or used a round one. Lost one to each far corner. Took it out and they did fine all the way down into freezing temps.

The one at 6 wks was a process now whether you want to or not situation. Had I not noticed he wasn't doing well, he could have easily been a loss.

The other one....? It was dead in the tractor the morning after processing the 18 at 8wks. Could have been another about to go on it's own that got overlooked.
hu.gif

I keep expecting the remainders to have all dropped dead every morning when I go out being such ancient CX and all, but nope, they're still kicking. They're being feed restricted though to try and hedge my bets until I get to them.

I think the simple fact is that folks need to actually prepare properly before getting thses birds, they are very different to raise and some folks just don't have the set-up or think exactly what their needs are. The high mortality rates I normally see from first timers is due to non preperation, This prep ranges from everything from feeding schedules, housing, crowding, waste material, and processing. I think a little research will go along way to saving more birds and less headaches for the owner.

AL

With a 50% mortality, I would look in the mirror for my answer. Consider the old Scottish proverb... " The eye of the master fattens the cattle". I have been raising the Cornish X for 3+ years now. I order 25 at a time 3-4 times a year. I occasionally have 1-2 DOA or within 2 days, which is less then 1% per batch. I raise them in one of my horse stalls (8, each 16 x 24) inside of my barn due to VERY high predator population. Plus our grass pastures ( 20 acres) are brown for 7 months of the year. They call California " The Golden State" for a reason.Then ZERO deaths untill 6-8 weeks when they go to freezer camp. At which point I have 100% mortality. Good luck in your research for your science fair project.

Back
Top Bottom