Help me convert this dog run!

Well, good news is that the fence appears to be in good shape overall and well secured. I don't see a lot of bowing, sagging, or other evidence of poor construction originally.

What is the purpose of the top covering? Are you deterring aerial predators? Trying to add shade/rain protection, or trying to predator proof the run?

and what's the budget? Sounds like "cheap", which is something I understand and can appreciate.

Which need you are addressing will influence which method to use to to roof it.
I think both deterring aerial predators (my dogs being outside occasionally and my cats being sentinels at the window keep a lot of predators away but just to be safe) and add some additional shade/rain protection. But I still want to be able to walk into the area without crouching.

I want to get rid of the shed. Haven’t decided if the coop should go in that place to fill the gap it will create or if I want to fix that gap with fencing and have a coop built at the back of this area that leads into this run.
If you're only planning on three chickens, if you have the funding, I'd build a coop for 7 (chicken math!) and put it in a corner. I'd also used a raised coop design, so that they can utilize the space under it.

I live near your neck of the woods -- a little higher in elevation, but still more a scrub oak type terrain than true alpine. We have tons and tons of predators in this area.

My first concern about the chain link fence is weasels. They are a very common here. It took weasels about 4 months to discover my chicken yard and then they were attacking in broad daylight. I eventually solved the problem with electric fencing, but it took some trial and error and a few more losses before I got the height and spacing right.

If you don't want to do an e-fence, your yard is small enough, that could solve the problem by running hardware cloth around the the chain link. If the coop is somewhere where foxes, coyotes or unfriendly dogs might be in contact with it, I would also put a hardware shirt on the ground to prevent digging under.

We also have a lot of hawks and eagles, so your thought on avian netting is a good one. I would sink taller posts at the four corners of the yard and a fifth post in the center and do a sloping teepee type design. Drape the netting all the down to and attach it to the top of the chain link fence.
Thanks. I’m not super concerned about larger mammal predators, we don’t see many of those and I’m in a pretty urban area. I’ve yet to see any concerns indicating any. More thinking squirrels, raccoons, and possums would be my bigger concern. But adding longer posts and netting is a great suggestion! And I was planning to reinforce the chain link with a hardware cloth anyway just in case my turtle decides she wants in with chickens when she free roams.

If you're only planning on three chickens, if you have the funding, I'd build a coop for 7 (chicken math!) and put it in a corner. I'd also used a raised coop design, so that they can utilize the space under it.
I actually super don’t plan on getting more. I’m still on the fence about even bringing home the three, it’s just that I happen to have a really strong bond with 2 chickens I’ve been training at work and would like to be able to continue to train them for educational ambassador work!

As cool as I’m learning chickens are, I don’t intend to get more and/or have others after these girls live out their lives. And while theoretically that COULD change, I really don’t want it to.

My old run was made out of 4' chain link fence. To make a "roof" I had an old broken up carport frame (10x20 from Costco) that I used. Cut the legs down, replaced a few cross pieces, covered in wire and we were in business. Had to bend over to get in the run because of where the gate was but it was 6+' at the peak. You could also make a bowed frame out of 1" pvc or even a peaked structure with 2 cattle panels. The existing pen is too nice to not figure out a way to use it.

Hi chicken friends! I need your creative ideas. If I wanted to utilize this area of my yard as my chicken area. Currently there is a chain link dog run with an old metal shed in it (that I plan to get rid of and replace with a wooden coop). The dog run is about 12.2ft by 7.5ft.

View attachment 2552954View attachment 2552958

View attachment 2552957

The fence is not tall enough though because when I add a covering I want to be able to walk into it. Has anyone has luck modifying short chain link fences?

Extension kits have mixed reviews and seem like I’d be spending just as much money as I would if I tore it down and built a wooden run.

Would love to hear about your ideas or experiences as this is all new to me!

I am building a space for just 3 rescue hens btw.
I can't really help but, nice sunset!

Back
Top Bottom