Help me decide - keep 1 or both roos?

Quote:
Ha
smile.png
Well, unless Pants or Itchy get that way, I guess I will have to wait til next year to find out firsthand
smile.png

Pat

Can roosters be housed together with few hens? I had 3 hens with one rooster and a refugee rooster showed up. He and my rooster dance at each other and crow through the fence around the run.

I've been afraid to let my rooster out to free range with the refugee because other chicken people have told me they will fight to cause real injury and if one loses, he may leave.

Since then (couple of months), one hen died and I had to separate the other, so I now have two groups of two. I'd really like to integrate them but I've been assuming that can't be done.

My birds are about 3 years old. No idea about the refugee.

My little flock started w/ 1 RIR roo, an RIR pullet, an SLW roo and an SLW pullet and 2 guineas. The RIR pullet died, and I decided I'd better get some hens to keep the two roos happy. Asked for all pullets and ordered 6 BOs, 2 BRs, 6 RIRs, and when they arrived I got 5 BO pullets & 1 roo (and another is either a VERY late bloomer or has an overdose of male hormones, because s(he) has a MUCH larger comb than the other girls, but not as large as the BO cockerel, and I've never seen him/her try to make or crow), of the 2 BRs one was a cockerel. A couple of weeks later I took 7 Australorps they couldn't sell and so far so good with them. Thus I now have FOUR (and maybe 5) roos and 19 pullets plus 2 guinea hens. There are a few squabbles now & then, but for the most part the BIG RIR roo (Sarge) makes sure everyone knows he's Alpha (or Beta, second to Mom!). I hope it stays that way, but the BO cockerel is starting to challenge and "push the envelope" so to speak, so he may be in for a butt-whipping or two....

Quote:
I will second that. I had two SS roos that were show quality and as gorgeous as the new day, but as mean as possible to the girls. Just insanely insane. We ate them both and they were mouth-wateringly delicious
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom