Help me decide on an incubator!

WaddleWaddle

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 1, 2013
Culpeper, VA
I will be purchasing an incubator....well as soon as I can decode which one to buy! The ones I have researched are:

Little Giant still air incubator I m not crazy about the idea of styrofoam as it seems like it may be hard to clean. The viewing windows seem small but it does hold 59 large chicken eggs or 100 small chicken eggs. :) The still air concerns me based on reviews I have read and it seems there are more reviews than not complaining about the less than reliable temp and humidity. I would also have to buy an egg turner which is the same price of the incubators! Available at my local TSC. $39.99, so roughly $80 plus new temp and humidity monitors.

Farm Innovators Pro Series Circulated Air Incubator- It comes with a fan and auto egg turner. Small viewing window. I also read many reviews complaining about the temp and humidity spiking or plummeting. Available at my local TSC. $130.00

IncuView
2122.png
All-In-One Automatic Egg Incubator- I was really impressed with the reviews I saw on here. The entire top is clear so you have a great view which love. From what I have read it holds temp and humidity really well. The big downside for me is that it only holds 27 chicken eggs. Come with a fan and auto turner. Would have to have it shipped. $175

Obviously I am leaning towards the IncuView. Does anyone have anything to add as to why I should consider the Innovator or little giant or another brand/model? I don't want to miss any details and I want to be sure I am getting my biggest bang for my buck.

If you plan on incubating numerous clutches each year, I would invest in a good quality incubator. I only hatch 1-2 times a year so my Styrofoam was more economical. i love it!

The little giant still air incubator? They have it on sale right now for $40 its one of the ones I am deciding on. Do you like yours? Any negatives?

The Little Giants (or any cheap styro) incubators are a good "value" purchase, but not high quality as you have surmised. The fans make them far better than the still air, but they are overpriced, you can easily rig up a computer fan with an old power supply from a phone or something for free. The auto turners are really nice when you can't be around to turn regularly.

If you buy a cheap one and add a fan it will do decent hatches for you. When you are ready to upgrade, it makes a good hatcher for doing staggered hatches, or you can sell it and get much of your money back out of it.

I have a Sportsman cabinet incubator and I love it. It's for serious hatching -- draws several time the amount of power as the LG's and can hold 24 dozen regular sized chicken eggs!

That's it. I like but don't live. Its very easy to use. It stains very easily on the bottom. Not a big deal but kind of ugly. I don't like the 2 windows on top. I can't see the action very well. I clean it with soapy water and dry in sun all day. I don't like egg turner they sell extra. its very difficult to add water. I have a 75-90% hatch rate. I'm mobile so I can't text a full review, Lol but you get my point.

Thanks that gives me more to think about! What are your thoughts on still air vs circulated air? Do you think the IncuView would be a waste of money for say 6-8 hatches per year?

Back
Top Bottom