Help me decide what kind of chicken to get................

chickenman98

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
Eastern Oklahoma
I have three sebrights and i'm gonna get rid of them and get something a little more friendly. i have three chickens in mind that i like barred rock banties, ameracauna or ee banties, or silkies. they have to be banties because the pen is not big enough for LF chickens. after several posts i will choose the kind i want and then i will need all the pros and cons of that breed.
Thanks,
Ryan

I am partial to silkies.. Pros, they are cute and friendly... Cons, they are addictive. And predictably broody, which at times can be good and bad. Depending on your goals.

I have two bantams and love them both, though neither is super friendly. The silkie is a sweetie but currently broody for the second time in 3 months. Keep in mind when looking for bantams, they're much more likely to go broody. The Cochin hasn't been here long but already warming up enough to come close for treats. She's also gorgeous with a cushion of feathers in the back.
smile.png

Ms.FuzzyButts :

I am partial to silkies.. Pros, they are cute and friendly... Cons, they are addictive. And predictably broody, which at times can be good and bad. Depending on your goals.

The broodiness is cute but I can tell it's going to get old fast! That's the only reason I can't see myself becoming a silkie addict.​

You could pick up a copy of Storey's illustrated poultry which gives you all the breeds in bantam and standard and information on temperment.
Barred rocks are considered a kid friendly breed as are Cochins. Cochins can be had in Frizzles also and that would give you some variety, not to mention variety of color. Though they can go broody. You could hatch chicks of both non Friz and Friz and sell them. Not as often as Silkies, which are popular and in MO, a delicate bird.

You really should check Storey's, you may be able to find a copy at your public library. If not, write back I have a copy here and can give you a list of standard birds that come in the bantam size too.

Wishing you the best
Rancher

Back
Top Bottom