Help me decide...

elmo

Crowing
14 Years
May 23, 2009
DFW
I have three groups of chicks each hatched out and brooded by one of our hens. The chicks are now six and seven weeks old. I have rehomed all but two of the little roosters, and now I'm undecided about how to manage the final two.

I have two little pullets that I can rehome with the boys. But that will leave one remaining pullet as the "odd chicken out, " with the rest of her hatch siblings gone elsewhere. All the other chicks we're keeping will have one hatch sibling to hang out with. Even though I have been keeping the two younger batches of chicks in a pen together, each clutch stays pretty much to themselves.

If I keep one of the little pullets to keep this chick company, that means one of the roos will have to go to a new home by himself. However, he's going to have to adjust to new pals, anyway, because we're not willing to part with the two chicks he hatched with.

I was thinking that if I sent this roo to a new home with one of the pullets from a different clutch (but someone he sort of knows), that might make his transition easier. But maybe not...maybe it wouldn't make any difference at all to him.

Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom