HELP .. me decide :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GrammysFarm, Mar 23, 2015.

1. GrammysFarm

GrammysFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2015
    Okay, so I want to get my chicks... in April I should have my pen by then....

I am thinking I want a dozen... sounds good [​IMG]

My son in law wants 'different colored eggs' I'm like oh my stars[​IMG] I just want plain friendly chickens to lay nice eggs.

So what can I put together to make us both 'happy'?[​IMG]

2. GrammysFarm

Feb 26, 2015
    okay, well he only WANTS ONE CHICKEN.................... can I get ONE bantam with another breed? will they get along?????

3. Kristi2chickens

Kristi2chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2015
    You could get Easter Eggers!!!:D

4. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Easter eggers (olive, green, blue), brahmas (brown) and marans (dark brown) would give you a nice range of colored eggs :)

5. Julia62

Julia62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    All of ours lay different color eggs:

Golden Comet: large brown (best layer and for size too average 64-70 grams)
    White Leghorn: white eggs (average 59-62 grams per egg)
    Silver Laced Wyandotte: light beige-pink eggs (small/medium size 40-46 grams about every other day)

We have three 6 day old chicks that are Americaunas so hopefully green eggs!

6. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley

Are you buying from the local farm store? If so, you can look for

White Eggs: White Leghorns
    Green Eggs: Easter Eggers (also sometimes labeled Ameraucana/Araucana) (some will say blue eggs and pink eggs, but usually you get green)
    Medium Brown Eggs: New Hampshires (better chance of being friendlier than Rhode Island Reds which also lay a medium brown)
    Other Brown Layers that are usually friendly: Red Comets, Red Stars, Red Sexlinks, Black Sexlinks, Buff Orpingtons, White Rocks, White Orpingtons, Speckled Sussex, and others
    Dark Brown Eggs: not usually available at the local farm store

If ordering from a hatchery like Ideal Poultry, you might be able to get a different type of white egg layer, although many hatcheries are running low on rare breeds at this time of year. They still have White Leghorns, though.

If ordering from a hatchery, you might still be able to get some dark brown egg layers, like Welsummers, but they are probably out for the season. Marans also usually lay a dark brown egg, but hatcheries are usually out of them for the season.

I haven't had a great number of bantams, but they have always done just fine in a flock of standard-sized layers. They were raised with the other layers from the time they were chicks. My bantams have never laid well ... it's more of a sporadic thing with them ... and not through the winter. This spring is the best my little d'Uccle has ever laid. She's been laying for about 3 weeks now and is going to be 5 years old in a month or two!!

I've noticed that the White Leghorn will lay an extra large egg to a medium egg depending on what specific hybrid a hatchery gets from their supplier. If you go to the Shaver/Babcock/ISA web sites, you'll see (with a little hunting) that they have hybrids that specifically lay an extra large egg and some that specifically lay a large or medium egg. I have had extra large White Leghorns from one hatchery and med/large egg laying White Leghorns from another hatchery. And there was no way I could have known what I was getting beforehand.

7. GrammysFarm

Feb 26, 2015
    thanks for all the great input..... I have a friend that is possibly going to give me a few hens to start... I think they are Americanas? they lay blue eggs? they have them free range so she said she can give me about a half dozen and that will get me started..... this way I won't be starting with babies..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by