Help me design ventilation for this coop please

Susan-B

Songster
Mar 3, 2021
Southeastern Pennsylvania
I’ll be getting one like this. We will add 1 or 2 windows, and the ridges along the roofline allow airflow. But I’m also going to add some ventilation along the top of the walls. No overhang or soffit and need to maintain some structural support as well. Feel free to draw some ideas on the picture
Thank you!!
DB35FEEE-0D3B-4638-AC34-DA8A0C62EABF.jpeg
45A0675E-56B6-439E-AFCF-FE4A06C350C1.jpeg

Last edited:
Can you raise the roof 4-6 inches on one side to allow for drainage and improved airflow?

I'd be very concerned with how that roof would handle snow load and heavy rain since it appears that the roofing material is almost completely unsupported.

Can you raise the roof 4-6 inches on one side to allow for drainage and improved airflow?

I'd be very concerned with how that roof would handle snow load and heavy rain since it appears that the roofing material is almost completely unsupported.
No I can’t, I don’t have that ability. Cutting window holes is about as advanced as it gets LOL.

How about cutting vents all around the top and using the cut-out pieces as awnings to keep the rain out?

That is, to cover the holes with hardware cloth then use hinges at the top so that you can prop the covers open?

How many chickens will be living there?
Oooo that’s an idea
10 (2 of which are a bit smaller sized)

it’s 48 sq ft

Honestly, if you have a window on each side, only maybe one more ventilation place would be prolly sufficient. That is if the windows can open, or if theyre big enough. (My first thought was standard home windows, as thats whats on my shed.) If it was mine, i would add a long horizontal opening across the back top. Roughly 4 to 6 inches wide, if that. Maybe id add some 6 inch or 1 ft round holes in the front left and right side, or maybe even just a round one in the door. All blocked with hardware cloth obviously. How many chickens will be in there? Hows the climate? How often you clean also plays a factor too. My suggestions were simply design wise id rather visually see, lol. Some people swear by as open as possible, but ive found it honestly dont take that much ventilation to be sufficient. If it weren't for having to close them during rain, the breezy windows would prolly be enough for me.

Do you have ideas on adding ventilation? Thx

That is a tough one. That framing is just plain weird.

What tools do you have and are ok with using?
Jig saw? Able to cut a sraight(ish) line?

Anyone that is reasonably skilled that can come lend a hand?

You can see below how I framed and made windows on one of my coops.

If you did similar but made them short and wide up high on the wall that could work as ventilation while keeping the wet out.
IMG_20200523_125104.jpg IMG_20200523_125148.jpg IMG_20200523_125133.jpg

How about cutting vents all around the top and using the cut-out pieces as awnings to keep the rain out?

That is, to cover the holes with hardware cloth then use hinges at the top so that you can prop the covers open?

How many chickens will be living there?

Exactly what I am thinking too. :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom