Help me design ventilation for this coop please

Honestly, if you have a window on each side, only maybe one more ventilation place would be prolly sufficient. That is if the windows can open, or if theyre big enough. (My first thought was standard home windows, as thats whats on my shed.) If it was mine, i would add a long horizontal opening across the back top. Roughly 4 to 6 inches wide, if that. Maybe id add some 6 inch or 1 ft round holes in the front left and right side, or maybe even just a round one in the door. All blocked with hardware cloth obviously. How many chickens will be in there? Hows the climate? How often you clean also plays a factor too. My suggestions were simply design wise id rather visually see, lol. Some people swear by as open as possible, but ive found it honestly dont take that much ventilation to be sufficient. If it weren't for having to close them during rain, the breezy windows would prolly be enough for me.
10 chickens (2 are smaller sized). I looked up our temps and it says “Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 25°F to 85°F and is rarely below 12°F or above 93°F”. It does get humid here. A few snow storms (usually one big one, other small ones)

That is a tough one. That framing is just plain weird.

What tools do you have and are ok with using?
Jig saw? Able to cut a sraight(ish) line?

Anyone that is reasonably skilled that can come lend a hand?

You can see below how I framed and made windows on one of my coops.

If you did similar but made them short and wide up high on the wall that could work as ventilation while keeping the wet out.
View attachment 2630678View attachment 2630680View attachment 2630681
I don’t have any tools (My boyfriend has some, not sure what). I have some physical limitations and can try and ask my BF to do some stuff, just not sure what he’s able to do

So 10 chickens = 10 square feet of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation.

You probably want to leave the wall that faces the winter winds solid or to put a window in for supplemental ventilation during the summer.

So, 10 linear feet of 12" high vents OR 20 linear feet of 6" high vents OR 15 linear feet of 8" high vents would each give you the necessary airflow.

I'd put the vents right up by the roof and the roosts low enough that the chickens heads were well below them when they're sleeping.

I do have the option to make the roofline like this but it costs an extra $350 (ouch)
4084429C-B3F6-4ABD-91A6-95612E6D1950.png

Oh, and which wall is the roosts on? You typically want the ventilation above their heads when they roost. If you plan to put a window on each side that can open, maybe only a ventilation space above their roost would be sufficient. Rain proofing it, thats a different subject, lol.

So 10 chickens = 10 square feet of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation.

You probably want to leave the wall that faces the winter winds solid or to put a window in for supplemental ventilation during the summer.

So, 10 linear feet of 12" high vents OR 20 linear feet of 6" high vents OR 15 linear feet of 8" high vents would each give you the necessary airflow.

I'd put the vents right up by the roof and the roosts low enough that the chickens heads were well below them when they're sleeping.
Ok thank you!

Oh, and which wall is the roosts on? You typically want the ventilation above their heads when they roost. If you plan to put a window on each side that can open, maybe only a ventilation space above their roost would be sufficient. Rain proofing it, thats a different subject, lol.
The back? I don’t even know. This is my “oh crap the coop I ordered was messed up and I need something else ASAP” coop. The man making it has been really nice to try and rush this for me (lots of local people have bought them from him)

I do have the option to make the roofline like this but it costs an extra $350 (ouch)
View attachment 2630704

If they can customize to make this type roof it's worth asking if they can increase the slope on the style you are getting and increase the overhang so rain isn't pouring directly at the base.

Maybe they can add the venting as well. It's easier to do while building the walls and they have the tools.

If they can customize to make this type roof it's worth asking if they can increase the slope on the style you are getting and increase the overhang so rain isn't pouring directly at the base.

Maybe they can add the venting as well. It's easier to do while building the walls and they have the tools.
They don’t do that much customization. It’s basically modular units. This A frame is the one “custom” thing I can change

They don’t do that much customization. It’s basically modular units. This A frame is the one “custom” thing I can change

Well poop.

For real I would end up taking the siding off to rip a 12" section off the top to make vents. I however have the tools and confidence in my building to be able to do that.

Trying to cut it while it is vertical is not only difficult it has its own dangers.
Saws near face or above head freak me out.

Back
Top Bottom