Help me diagnose limping Plymouth Rock

SusanMc

Songster
Jul 28, 2020
BC 🇨🇦
Good Morning guys and gals,
My Plymouth Rock Bonnie, began limping 4 days ago. I immediately caught her and confined her in my large wire dog crate, with food water clean bedding and heat. When I watch her, she has a slight limp but also periodically lifts the sore foot and tucks it up into her feathers. I have tried to give her periods of time with the flock but each time she gets left behind. So I put her back, which she seems to want because she does not run away. I have given her 40 mg aspirin, for the last three days. Soaked her in lavender Epsom salts, and today I am trying to figure out what’s wrong. Here are two pics of her foot. I think the middle toe looks swollen.

Can anybody see with more experienced eyes. My hen is heavy and turning 2 this April.
Thanks
Susan

Attachments

• 648AD407-74C3-48E3-A4D7-ABB4EF989549.jpeg
    648AD407-74C3-48E3-A4D7-ABB4EF989549.jpeg
    498.9 KB · Views: 9
  • E5D40048-DEAC-499D-B9EE-9765C62BC50F.jpeg
    E5D40048-DEAC-499D-B9EE-9765C62BC50F.jpeg
    650.1 KB · Views: 4
It does sound more like an injury, possibly a broken toe. Can you leave her crate inside the coop with the other chickens? It will make reintegrating her much easier after she is better.

I wish I could, it wouldn’t fit, but the hens and roosters are not restricted from that room, she gets visitors lol, I’m going to try some vet wrap, make a splint. Any idea how long it might take to heal. She has made herself a little nest in the crate and is laying her eggs in there.

My hen went out at noon today with the other flock members and she seems to be doing great so far. She laid her egg in the nest box, and is keeping up with the others. I’m hoping all will be well when I check this evening.
Thanks for your help, I appreciate being able to ask a question when one of my chickens is hurting:love

I did put a splint on yesterday and when I checked her in the morning she had “taken it off”. But she was really active in the cage. I did notice her foot only looked a little less swollen. I will take a pic later on, and post it. I’m hoping the aspirin I gave her did not make things worse. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom