Help me do this right....letting the chickens out to 'free range'

Well they 'free ranged' in the garden and they all went back in on their own...kinda....I did throw a cup of food in the run to get their attention.

They were so excited but I was not sure they were going to leave the gate!
62714_110_3594.jpg

But then the girlies got brave....see, I do have SOME hens! They seemed to be interested in what was on the other side.
62714_110_3605.jpg

Then there were those that were really interested in the chicken tractor and the roosters inside. The inmates were really excited and wanted out badly.
62714_110_3599.jpg

There was some serious pecking going on and my garden will be better for it next year.
62714_110_3612.jpg

Another one trying to decide what the heck he was doing outside the run.
62714_110_3610.jpg

And then, at the end of the day Oh, my Kitty, my Cat was really helpful in downloading the pictures.
62714_110_3591.jpg

Thanks for all the help and advice....I was quite nervous but the garden fence was really secure and no one got out....oh, one of the hens did fly up on the cover to the run and I had a hard time helping her find her way off....she was very worried! Tomorrow night another adventure into the garden.

After all, they have work to do!!

Last edited:
I got my chickens in April and by about the end of June was letting them free-range once they got used to the coop being their "home". When they first free-range they won't travel very far from "home" and they will go in at dusk, atleast mine do. Whenever the shadows start getting long, they head into the coop. Each day they got a little further from their home, but never too far. Now they come across our acreage to visit us at our home, but near dusk they go back closer to their home. We can go out about 8 pm and they are all in the coop, roosting.

Don't make it too hard!
smile.png

It is hard on my mountain. Just the garden is the only place I will let them go. We have a hawk that is always out there someplace. My husband saw a fox one morning from the bathroom windlow...but we have not seen signs of it again. The closest neighbors have dogs and then there are the next neighbors that also have dogs. Those dogs killed 27 sheep last spring. Then my closest neighbors little dog. Then my dog.

I feel really responsible for the chickens because I chose to get them. Just have to keep them as safe as I can. I know I did make it hard getting the garden ready. But, it worked and I will let them into it again first because it is good for them and second because it is good for my soil.

It really was fun to watch them pecking and trying to figure out where they wanted to go!

Thanks again for the support.....

Last edited:
Quote:
Please tell me the dogs were put down for killing those sheep?

You are taking great responsibility for your chickens, but lord knows your neighbors have to take responsibility for their dogs! Predators are our biggest fear...the 4 legged, 2 legged and winged!

Nah...two of the four dogs have gone missing...gee, so sad. (not us, the sheep owner)

The other two have days that are numbered. The guy who owns them does not believe that HIS dogs would ever do that. He blames it all on his son in law's dog (who never leaves the yard and my husband did some remodel work there and I have been around the dog plus the dog of mine that was killed spent time down there when we were working....so, not that dog!!) The two that are left even attacked and killed the neighbor across from them when they moved in with two boston terriers....but it was their fault.

We are dealing with a neighbor in denial. I will shoot either dog should it even get close to my property. Even have the crazy neighbor's permission. But these days I am seeing them going down the mountain instead of back here where we are. But other than start a feud with the crazy neighbor I can only bide my time and wait.....and I am an animal lover....it will hurt me to do it but the thought of them slaughtering anymore pets or livestock spurs me on. What they did to the sheep was horrible. They ate nothing. Just killed. Same with my sweet Trixie who was just going out to do her business.

People do need to take responsibility for their animals. I feel strongly about mine...thus the fence for the garden and a safe place to 'free range'.

Something else you can try is to fit a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut out through a hole in the garden fence as a pass-through. If you don't want the chickens in the garden, you fit another smaller pail into the bucket to plug the hole.
I saw a picture of this system in one of the books I got early on when I was thinking about getting chickens (can't remember which book now, sorry). But once the chickens got the idea of traveling through the opening, they had no trouble with it. If yours are as curious as my chickens are, they'll have no trouble. Saves having to herd chickens in and out of the gate.

That would work....but just had a brain flash and if you kept the lid to the five gallon bucket....mine are all paint buckets because my DH is a carpenter...you could just put the lid on to close the bucket and keep them in.

We rigged the fence to go right up to the coop. Left like a 'play yard' by the garden in front of the run...a place for me to put my lawn chair too! So, I can open the gate and leave it open while they are out 'free ranging'......some of them were so 'chicken' with it being their first 'free range' that they came out and went right back in and watched the others.

I figure they will be braver tonight. Will be gathering up roosters as they go back in. 'Taking away' all the roo's that we are not keeping tonight. Down to three or four by tomorrow. Maybe three. Then we will watch to see who is the nicest rooster for the flock. I know, I know. But we did end up with at least 12-15 too many roo's. WAY too many.....look at the pictures....it is a sea of red combs!!

I really like the bucket idea though....would make a good pop door too if you kept the lid to close it up!

Back
Top Bottom