Help me ducks foot bleeding tried on emergency topic but got no help

cat1994

Songster
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Southeast MO
i tried this on the emergency topic thingy (im new) and no one helped me!one of my call ducks looks like the padding of its foot got cracked and is bleeding what do i do please help me

I would set him up in a small cage by himself with clean bedding, clean the foot with betadine or peroxide, and perhaps you could put some triple-antibiotic ointment on the foot. Then wrap the foot loosely with vet wrap. Check the foot a few times a day and re-apply ointment and wrap. Anyone else? This is what I would do, maybe someone else has a better idea. Make sure you keep the bedding very clean.

Well, if it's bleeding a lot, you need to put something on it to stop the bleeding. Styptic powder is best, drug stores sell it, as do pet stores. But, if it's cracked like I kind of think you mean, it's probably not a major bleed, more of just sore and tender?

Is it cracked in the way I'm thinking, you probably need to use something that will soothe it and moisturize the skin. Triple antibiotic ointment like Neosporin would be good for at least a few days to help ward off infections -- an ointment is oil based and waterproof or at least water resistant. You probably will need to apply it 4 or 5 times a day, since it will wear off quickly.

Long term, I'm thinking something more like aloe vera or maybe even cornhusker's lotion or vaseline petroleum jelly.

I wonder if maybe some olive oil in the diet would help, too?

I'm no expert, so I'll be anxious to see what other people say.

Is he still bleeding? You have to stop if it it is... use direct pressure on the wound..
Dont let go till it stops bleeding..

agree with drdoolittle. You can apply Termerec powder from your spice cabinet if you have it. It is an astingent that is used in most blood stop powders. You can wrap a bandage around it the best you can. Sometimes pretty difficult on those feet.

apply pressure with gauze but clean it with peroxide first.wrap a bandage around the wound tightly but not to tightly

keep it alone in a warm dry place with fresh water maybe some scrambled eggs or yogurt and dry bedding where he/she can ly down without putting pressure on the foot.

just let him rest.

thats all i can tell you
hope for the best
~RoO~

smile.png
thanks so much its not bleeding badly anymore its just cracked and dry so i washed it, put Neosporin on it, and wrapped it up, it is looking better iv put vaseline on my 3 other call ducks to make their feet moist so theirs don't crack also

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom