1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me figure out my lock down date,Please.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 3goodeggs, Dec 20, 2012.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I put the eggs into the incubator at 10:30 am on the Fourth of December, Is lock down at 10:30 on the 22nd or the 23 of December? or the 21st?
    This seemed simple until I started thinking about it, now I am so jumbled, I don't know.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    day 1 is counted as the day after you set them. December 5th in your case. Day 18 is the last day to turn, so Sunday 12/23 you go into lockdown. You can lockdown Saturday though without worry

At least this is how i count and work eggs.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I have started to lock down a day earlier than recommended, as I've had lots of issues with shrinkwrapping - even when I never touch the incubator.

Last two hatches are the only ones I did a day early. All but one egg hatched for both. Much better. :)

I find which day they are on confusing. I have started to just expect them to hatch the same day they were set. If set on a Tuesday, they hatch (or should) on a Tuesday. Therefore I lockdown 3 days prior (Saturday).

4. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Thank you both. I am not even sure I have fertile eggs- This entire thing was an emergency seat of my pants affair. Do I open the incubator when I hear cheeping, or keep it shut until the end of the third day of lock down, Which would be either the 24th 0r the 25?
    AHHHHHHH! It was so much simpler when it was all theory.

5. aoxa

Don't open it until all have hatched, or 48 hours after the first one hatched.

Less chances of issues opening if all have pips. They shrink wrap before pipping.

You should be able to tell if they are fertile by veining. Have you candled?

6. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I Tried to candle. The ones that were clear and had a yellow yolk showing on day seven, I figured were not fertile, the ones that the shells were too dark or thick I am assuming might have something - they might just explode, and then there were ones that I honestly could not figure out what I was looking at, so I just left them all in. It is a friend's home made incubator, so I can not see into it to know who piped zipped or exploded. It will be a Christmas surprise.

7. aoxa

Well give us an update :) you should hear peeping for sure when they hatch. Mine can be heard through walls and doors once they are out. They are loud!

8. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Am I expecting cheeping too early? It has been 21 days to the hour.
    Should I keep it going until This time tomorrow, and then assume they were not fertile and just bury them carefully?

Bummer.

Oh well, I have Buff Orpingtons and out of the 18 of them there is usually three committed broodies by March. I will buy some eggs and let the professionals handle it.

9. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Don't be in too big of a hurry to toss th eggs, they should start hatching today, but can take a day or 2 for all to hatch. If you don't have anything by tomorrow night, candle them again. Toss the clears, if any are full dark, tap them lightly if there is a live chick inside it will cheep at you, put it back. If you have a stinker, you will know and be able to toss them also. If you are not sue what to look for, I think candleing on day 7 is too early, I always try to wait till day10, I don't like to mess with the eggs alot. Then I check them again about day 15 or 16 just before lockdown and toss any I can't get to move. If in doubt I leave them in.

10. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    hi, so , im the one on an other thread with the too cool incubator(cool as in cold, not awesome)...

so the eggs that are clear, ive opened, but i have a few that are heavier, and have definate dark areas and air sacs, but i have bad eyes so not sure what else im seeing (candling with flashlight and hand, havent yet set up a candler)...

so if i put in the one batch on the 11 of december, when do i start to not turn them (manual), and when should i see viable movement/hear something? if at all, taking in to consideration that the incubator was too cold , although if i go by the second thermometer, it wasnt as cold as i first thought (and too high humidity, like 70%, so working on that also ) ...
    is there not a gestation kind of table like for whelping or goat births? rather then just having to count?

bina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by