Help me figure out the breed of these big black pullets, please!

WalkingOnSunshine

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Ohio
My dad gave my kids some chicks for Easter. Two were basic red sex links, and we thought the others were black sex links. As chicks, they were all black with a small cream colored spot on the chest. All he told me was they they were "some kind of hybrid."

Now, they're huge. At least an inch taller than the RSL that were hatched on the same day. They are all black with green and purple beetling. Single combs. Yellow on the bottoms of the feet. What are these things?

Jersey Giant was my first guess, but it would surprise me to have them in a bin labeled "hybird." I don't know where dad picked these up--probably TSC or the feed store. I have no idea what Freedom Rangers look like. They could be meat birds, they're heavy enough--but my dad's girlfriend picked these out, and she knows quite a bit about chickens, and I don't think she'd buy us meat birds. <shrug> These two are a real mystery.

Doesn't it just drive you batty trying to figure it out? :) I dunno bout the hybrid thing, maybe they were mismarked or the sign got moved? Cause they really look like Jerseys to me.

Thanks! It would be awesome if they were Jersey Giants instead of meaties. They belong to my two year old, so we're not gonna eat them. Both of them are named Doobie Doobie.
lol.png

Oh, no. We keep a few roos, but Jersey Giants we probably wouldn't keep. I guess I'll listen for the first garbled crows.

It never occurred to me that they'd be boys, b/c why on Earth would they buy my kids straight run birds? Blah. Anyone want a Jersey Giant rooster named Doobie Doobie?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom