Help Me Fill In The Blanks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CluckyJay, Jul 14, 2011.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Please, lol. I may be wayyyyyyyyy off with this. I am trying to get a rough estimate of the cost of raising one Muscovy duck, I can take it from there.

This is as dog food. The dogs will eat a bit less or a bit more but this makes it easier for me figure. lol

The ducks will free-range day/night.

Male Muscovy 16 weeks = 13 pounds
    Female Muscovy 16 weeks = 7 pounds

13 pounds / 2 pounds per dog = 6.5 meals for one 50-pound dog from one male duck
    7 pounds / 2 per dog = 3.5 meals for one 50-pound dog from one female duck

It costs ???? to raise 1 duck to 16 weeks

Oats cost 10.00 per 50-lbs

1 cup of feed per duck a day(?)

100 cups in 50 pounds of feed
    800 ounces in 50-lbs feed
    8 ounces in cup
    6.25 gallons in 50-lbs

One 50-pound bag of dog food costs 18.00-20.00, 4 times a month.

After this I had fibro-fog, so I can't remember how to break that down into how much it costs to feed 1 duck until slaughter time. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any help.

2. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    You probably already know this, but just in case you don't (or for any others reading this and getting the idea), I have to throw it out there: muscle meat alone will not healthfully sustain a dog. If you are going to raw-feed your dogs, make sure to feed them the whole duck: organ meats, bones, tendons, etc.

Sorry I am no help in the math department.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  3. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Yup, I know it. [​IMG] I figured I make the whole carcasses into something less ducky-looking and feed it that way. I have a manual meat grinder, wonder how long that would take, LOL. I need to get our tilapia and rabbits up and running too. [​IMG]

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    You don't need to grind it. It's better for the dog if you don't. I always just fed broiler chicken quartered.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Storey's Guide has a table on suggested feeding schedule for ducklings

For Muscovy, feed is free choice the first 6 weeks (no specifics given, with a note that "the quantity of feed required by ducklings is highly dependent on the availability of natural foods, climatic conditions, and the quality of feed . . . ")

From 7 to 20 weeks, they suggest .2 t .4 pounds of 15% - 16% protein developer feed per bird daily.

Blue seal costs about $15 a bag for grower cal

Did you give oats as a point of reference for expense, or were you planning to just feed oats? The quality of food, if the birds survived on that, might not be so great. For example, ducklings (at least the mallard descendents) need plenty of niacin. I don't think oats would be sufficient for what you want to do.

If the ducks are free ranging, then use the 0.2 pounds figure - I'd still think the most balanced diet you can afford would be worthwhile. Mother Earth News has an article online about raising food for ducks - you might look at that if you haven't yet.

And free ranging at night . . . any thoughts on protecting them from predators?

6. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    That should have said free-range until night. I'm penning them at night. Sorry, lol

I was using sprouting oats as a reference. I'm still looking for a way to mix feed myself. The black soldier flies are really coming along. I plant to use oats (or whatever is cheapest) and garden waste to feed the larvae. I'm feeding them to the chickens, ducks and other birds. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for that list--I couldn't find that website when I searched this stuff. [​IMG]

I have to mutilate the carcasses--they're hunting dogs and I can't take the chance they'll associate livestock with food. [​IMG]

Thank you guys!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by