Help me find one, please!

kees

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 5, 2008
In a previous post, a member of the BYC mentioned a tool, made in the UK, called a chicken dispatcher. I'm a complete wuss when it comes to culling a chicken and am interested in this tool. Where can I find one? Specifically, how do they work?

Thanks in advance,

Suzy
hit.gif

I use a pair of garden pruners which is similar in method and much cheaper... The blunt end of the pruners goes to the back of the neck and with a quick squeeze the neck bones break and the front blade cuts the neck to bleed out at the same time...

Here is a post that shows pics of using the pruners with a quail... Warning some pics are graphic but the bird died instantly since it broke it's neck...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=147712

hugs.gif
I'm a major woosie too!!! And the first time is always the hardest...

Ahhhhh...I think that I'd still have trouble doing it! What I find difficult is seeing the "light" go out in the bird's eyes after I kill it. Also, knowing that the animal trusted me and I hurt it. I've no compunction about cleaning a bird once it's decapitated, but it's very difficult for me to do the "dirty work".

Twice, I twisted the chickens' necks. Their heads were in plastic grocery bags, but they wouldn't die. The noises that they made were quite unnerving. One of them was my favorite Silkie who became very ill. I thought that she was dead; ten minutes later, the bag in which I placed her started moving while she made this horrific noises. (Think Madame Bovary.)

Suzy

hit.gif

Quote:
Just let me know when you wanna do the deed and we'll process
a few together. I can take a ride down your way or you can come up
to my place. I'll have some roos to take care of in 6 weeks.

I don't like chopping but do it anyways. I've got a turkey fryer to scald
with and my homemade plucker too.

Thanks PurpleChicken. I don't have any birds to process but was wondering if I could summon up the gumption to process in the future.

Suzy

(covering her eyes)

Back
Top Bottom