Help me find some breeds for my pen:)Finding Buckeyes?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by StrictBaptist, Dec 16, 2010.

1. StrictBaptist

StrictBaptist Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Will be builing it soon, help me pick some breeds:) Preferrably bantams

1. Buckeye- I already know this will be one of the breeds, I grew up in Indiana with 5 of them when I was a kid. I love them

2. Wife wants a great egg layer that is pretty to look at ?????

other ideas?????? and reasons why you would select them?

Also does anyone know where I can buy some buckeyes from????????

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    First off, [​IMG] from Missouri!!!

These are supposed to be some excellent Buckeyes: http://www.buckeyechickens.com/ I've never had any of these myself, but I've heard high reviews. If you want cheaper chicks (and lower quality), then Ideal, Meyer, and Welp Hatcheries all carry Buckeyes.

As far as a beautiful great egg layer, that really is personal taste. A few breeds to consider are: Easter Eggers (aka Araucanas, Americaunas, etc.), Buff Orpingtons, Australorps, Speckled Sussex, and Silver or Golden Laced Wyandottes.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Welcome to BYC StrictBaptist, from a fellow Baptist (not that strict however...). I don't know of any Buckeye breeders, but then again we don't have many chicken owners around here at all. Hope you find some.

4. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

Two of my best layers (when they aren't broody!)...

[​IMG]

Mille Fleur d'Uccle bantams. I think they're pretty cute. [​IMG] (They look terrible in this pic though because they were starting to molt.)

Best wishes on getting your flock!

5. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
  6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I don't have any bantams but I think the little Cochins are adorable to look at. I also love the Naked Neck Turkens. I only have one, wish I would have gotten more. They are said to be very docile and quiet birds.

Check out the NNT thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=301500

Those
    Mille Fleurs are pretty too!!! So many to choose from!!!

7. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    I would recommend Easter Eggers (often called Americaunas) as pretty egg-layers for your wife. They lay tinted eggs, come in all different shades, and have a delightful bird-of-prey look, while still having sweet personalities . [​IMG] BTW, my avatar is my favorite EE, Kestrel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by