Help me fix my incubator!

duck&chickencrazy

Songster
11 Years
Dec 2, 2008
Indiana
ok while putting my incubator away i dropped it and a hunk got knocked off and my mom threw the peices away so i dont know how to fix it....the pic below shows where it broke at....any ideas on how to fix it?

19331_4fd5e9544ec599e563d4ece0affa0c52.jpg

I would cut it square and get another piece to fit it. (Maby from a old cooler) Use tape some glues can melt the styro. Should be good as new.

duck&chickencrazy :

ok while putting my incubator away i dropped it and a hunk got knocked off and my mom threw the peices away so i dont know how to fix it....the pic below shows where it broke at....any ideas on how to fix it?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/19331_4fd5e9544ec599e563d4ece0affa0c52.jpg

Find a piece of styrofoam that is about the thickness of the thickess part of the affected area.

Be sure to use a foam safe type of glue...test a small piece of both the incubator and the repair patch piece with the glue to be sure it doesn't melt. Some glues that work are Polyurethane glues...Elmers Pro-Bond...Ultimate glue, 5-minute epoxy, foam-safe CA (super glue), low-temp hot glue, white Gorilla one-hour glue, and probably more.

The trick is to patch a tidy hole rather than a broken, ragged one. Take a small saw (hacksaw blade), knife, or whatever that will neatly cut out the damaged area leaving you a nice, neat rectangular area to patch. If you take care in cutting out the damaged area you can use the outside edge of it as a guide to cut three sides of your patch piece with.

Once you have a nice squared-off area to work with then you can start fitting your patch piece to it. Basically trial and error...trim a little off the patch piece and see how it fits, repeat as needed until you have a nice snug, but not overly tight fit in the hole. You could use some rough grit sandpaper or some other shaping tool to shape the piece to the contours of the incubator walls. You may need to use some maskng tape to hold the patch piece in place while you shape things.

Once everything fits good, the top fits, the turner fits, the wire mesh fits, etc.,...double check it again for proper fitment!!!

Finally, put on some nitrile gloves and use whichever glue you choose (I would use epoxy). If you're not familiar with using epoxy go with one of the other glues. If you decide on epoxy don't be stingly....mix up plenty for the job, you want have time to mix up more if you run out. Spread the glue on both pieces...don't be stingy here either but don't be sloppy either. Put the pieces together and secure the patch piece in every how you can...tape, straight-pins, whatever. Wipe away any glue that might have squeezed out from between the pieces. Then leave it alone for a minimum of the recommended time for the glue to set. In 24 hours anything should be ready to go.

1. Find a piece of styrofoam about the same thickness as the wall of the incubator.
2. Get some FOAM-SAFE GLUE.
3. Test the glue on the incubator styrofoam and the patch piece styrofoam.
4. Cut the damaged area to a tidy squared off area.
5. Cut the patch piece just a touch bigger than the hole and sand/file/shape down to size and fit.
6. Double and triple check the fitment of the patch.
7. Use gloves if using epoxy.
8. Have enough glue of whatever kind for the job.
9. Glue the pieces together and secure with tape, pins, etc.,.
10. Leave it alone for the glue to set for a longer time than the instructions on the glue say.

Best wishes,
Ed​

I would go with the spray foam. Try out a tiny bit just to make sure that it won't melt too badly.

Back
Top Bottom