HELP ME GET CHICKENS!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sloallie10, Nov 9, 2008.

1. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Please help me convince my parents to get me chickens!!!

2. NMbirds

NMbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    Abiquiu, New Mexico
    Fizzy,
    Maybe you can show your parents in other ways how responsible and reliable you are, agree on a time period of your demonstration, such as 3 months and ask them if that would help show them that you are not only interested but committed to following through on what all is required. You might also write them a "contract" and spell out all those things that you will promise to do in order to take care of the chickens, all of the details of care, feeding, cleaning, and looking after.
    And good luck! [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How big is your back yard?

How old are you?

Are there city regulations against chickens?

What would the neighbors say?

Do you have a coop? Who would build it?

Do you have any other pets that you care for regularly?

Who would pay for the feed?

Do you do odd jobs around the house or in the neighborhood? Chickens take work.

Just a few questions for you to consider. Go over them with your parents... I'm certain there are other questions they would ask also.

My 12 and 14 year old sons are fantastic with our chickens. I don't ever have to worry about the coop being swept AND mopped every week. They do it without being asked. Of course they gather the eggs without being asked too.

4. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    nice sized backyard

young

im not sure

my neighboors have chickens and im so obbsesed I watch them all day through the fence

me and my dad

2dogs alot of fish a bunny and used to own a hamster

mom or dad

not really

thanks![​IMG]

5. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Design your coopand see if your mom and dad will help you build it now. Plan for your future birds, build the coop, get it ready, shavings, heating fixtures lights etc. Be patient and persistant, so when the spring hatching comes you are ready to raise your birds right, and your parents will see that you really mean what you promise, and that this is not just a passing fancy. Ask Santa for chicken supplies, that will really prove your desires are real....

6. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    Tell your parents they will not have to buy eggs at the store after they start laying, you can sell your access, they eat bugs, grass and are entertaining. also tell them you can sell the birds at any point usually for a decent price.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] When is your Birthday? If thats too far off - Christmas is coming!

8. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    I have already told them they are eating yucky store bought eggs but.... I just dont know what to do.

Two years ago on christmas i wanted a hampster really bad i did all i could do and i got her on xmas but my dad didnt tell my mom about the hampster soo she got mad then my dad lost the hampster in the garage so........

maybe just maybe that will happen this xmas but not the losing part.and it will also help because im going to a chicken show in jan.

9. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    I'm 15 and it was easy since i needed a FFA SAE project. Mom had them when she was younger. I helped take care of her dogs and goats to show I could have the extra time for chickens. Most importantly, I built a coop from my own $ and kept my grades up while doing it all. Set your priorities and see how much time you'd have for chickies!

10. sloallie10

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    my bday already passed in oct. I will wish as hard as i could wish when xmas comes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by