Help me get rid of my nightly visitors!!!!!

I wouldn't poison because other animals/chickens could be harmed.
We had a rat we couldn't get rid of trying various traps. We finally got a live trap at TSC and it worked like a charm. Just be sure to take the rats at least 2 miles away or they will come right back.
Why take it anywhere except to Rat Heaven? They don't come back from there.

Poison. Put it in some sort of bait box that nothing else can get into. We have a wooden box with a small hole in the end that we put the bait under, and weight it down with a rock. Rats are the only thing that can get into the bait. We have never seen dead or dying rats, nor have I ever had a chicken, cat or dog kill or eat a poisoned rat.

Poison. Put it in some sort of bait box that nothing else can get into. We have a wooden box with a small hole in the end that we put the bait under, and weight it down with a rock. Rats are the only thing that can get into the bait. We have never seen dead or dying rats, nor have I ever had a chicken, cat or dog kill or eat a poisoned rat.
Innocent animals die every day from second hand poisoning by ingesting poisoned rodents. Go work in a wildlife care center or a vets office. Advising people to poison animals is ridiculous.

I am at my wits end. We tried to figure out what was getting into the chicken run and coops. Bought a trail cam and it’s rats!!!! And OMG there are quite a few!! Please tell me there is hope to get rid of them. The neighbors cats are trying but I think there’s too many. I know the exterminator is gonna cost me a fortune. Any suggestions to try first? You cannot imagine the horrible painful death I’m wishing on every one of them
Every body has to eat.........

I am at my wits end. We tried to figure out what was getting into the chicken run and coops. Bought a trail cam and it’s rats!!!! And OMG there are quite a few!! Please tell me there is hope to get rid of them. The neighbors cats are trying but I think there’s too many. I know the exterminator is gonna cost me a fortune. Any suggestions to try first? You cannot imagine the horrible painful death I’m wishing on every one of them
get some rat traps and put peanut butter on the traps and you will get rid of a lot of them that way. Just don't put them in and around your chickens.

We have a mouse plague here in Australia - it's brought out some great solutions - the best is a bucket with a spindle inserted into 2 holes close to the top - first, the spindle is inserted through a plastic (water) bottle. Peanut butter is smeared on the bottle and water put into the bucket. Peeps I know catch up to 30 mice in one night per bucket! Ensure there is enough water to drown the rats, so it will need to be a bucket with high sides. No pesticides required, just a strong stomach each day as you empty the bucket and bury the bodies

Fromex

get some rat traps and put peanut butter on the traps and you will get rid of a lot of them that way. Just don't put them in and around your chickens.
Lowes hardware has some interesting rat solutions one is battery operated to give a shock. Poison isn't a good idea because other animals may eat . The exterminator us traps and takes them away...

Your approach must be complete.I do not use poison. I have seen good dogs and cats die from eating a poisoned rodent. 1. The food must be in a metal garbage can with a lid.
A metal treadle feeder so there is no food laying around. Some people take up all food overnight. Chickens can't see at night to eat anyway.
2. Clean up any kind of piles on your property. Brush, lumber, metal, piles are homes for rodents. 3. I use good quality snap traps. I have by accident use a drown trap. (a wheel barrel left out in the rain. Killed four of them). 3. Hardware cloth on any holes. If you have a dirt floor I suggest that you put in a floor as best that you can afford.
You must, remove the food that they eat. Remove there homes to raise their young. The rodents are there in the environment all the time. You must remove the rat sanctuary that your coop has become.

But
What happens when one of the pets doo eat a dieing rat?

Back
Top Bottom