help me get some hens please!

farmmassachusetts

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 24, 2011
im trying to convince my parents to let me get about 5 laying hens (i would buy them as pullets). i need arguments to show them that getting laying hens would be reasonably easy and beneficial. i have done my research and talked to friends with chickens, so we know all about the hens' needs. i think i just need some new ideas to present to my parents. please help me get my chickens!!!

What are their objections? Is it cost of set up? Do they think you will go off to school or get a job and move away soon and leave them with the birds to take care of?

Perhaps you should be thinking of inexpensive tractor coop for three hens, which could easily be sold if the above happened.

Last edited:
I bought seven 17-week old pullets in mid-June. I've been amazed at how simple they are to care for. However, the care has to be consistent - and special care has to be taken in this hot weather. With getting the coop and run and the basics of their care (waterers, feed containers, feed, grit, oyster shell, DE, aluminum trash cans to hold their feed, scratch, etc., pine shavings) - it can add up initially. Once you're set up, though, the cost of their care is not much.

Have you demonstrated responsibility with other pets in the past? Will you gather the eggs, clean out the coop and run, provide food and fresh water consistently - even when you don't feel like it?

I 2nd the poster who asked why they don't want them?

I am fairly new to the chicken thing, LOVE them...I am eagerly awaiting the 1st egg any day now..and have a bunch of friends waiting for farm fresh eggs!

#1 benefit, EGGS! Fresher than any you will buy...(store bought eggs are already several weeks old by the time you buy them)
#2 benefit, ENTERTAINMENT...they are such fun to watch, each has their own personality and quirky behavior.
#3 benefit, droppings make great fertilizer for gardens
#4 benefit, EGGS...did I already say that?
celebrate.gif

#5 benefit, fresh meat, if that is a course you are wanting to take.
#6 benefit, weeds and bugs will be a thing of the past!

Now, they do take some work...the coop...or tractor has to cleaned.
Food and water, food isn't free, so do you have a part time job to help purchase this?
Will you be the one taking care of them exclusively? Although I bet they get drawn into it quickly!
If you end up with a rooster, can you re-home him?
Are you willing, in colder weather, or when you really don't want to, take care of them? It only takes a few minutes a day BTW.

Good luck....!
thumbsup.gif

Who is paying for the expensive coop and fencing for their run? Who is buying the feeders and waterers? Who will buy the chicks and the feed and the medications? Have you always, and I mean no exceptions, taken care of your pets and never had to be reminded to care for them?

Do you have a job to raise the money to pay for it all? How often have you taken up a hobby and then lost interest in it?

You might have to keep learning about chickens and wait until you get your own place. If your parents don't want chickens, well... it's their home, their rules.

Back
Top Bottom