Help me ID my colored egg layers!

Magda12

Songster
May 25, 2022
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Hello! I bought 10 chicks, born on Pascha (4/24) this year. They are now 14 weeks old. I don't suspect that any of them are roosters, but I am a first time chicken owner. I ordered the colored egg layers from Tractor Supply (Hoover's Hatchery). Here's the list of possible "breeds" (yes, I do understand that these are just hybrids):

Americana
Olive Egger
Prairie Bluebell Egger™
Sapphire Olive Egger™
Starlight Green Egger™
Midnight Majesty Marans™
French Black Copper Marans
Cuckoo Marans

I don't think any of them are Marans, no one has feathery feet, much to my disappointment. Also, all chickens have 4 toes.

I have named the files their names, so hopefully that helps when referring to them. Let me know if you need any further pics or details! Excited to find out what you all think and if any of them might be a roo!

Attachments

• Bellatrix.jpg
    Bellatrix.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 73
  • ChoChang.jpg
    ChoChang.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DrRobotnik.jpg
    DrRobotnik.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Fleur.jpg
    Fleur.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Helga.jpg
    Helga.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Hermione.jpg
    Hermione.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Luna.jpg
    Luna.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Minerva.jpg
    Minerva.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 38
  • MrsWeasley.jpg
    MrsWeasley.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Tonks.jpg
    Tonks.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 36
Does that mean no way tell tell between the different "breeds" I listed above? Hermione, Luna and Helga are all much larger, have different colored feet and have bigger/different (I think the terms are single versus the others have pea combs?) combs than the other chickens. I thought maybe there might be a way to tell which hybrid breed they are.
Starlight Green Eggers, Prairie Blue Bell Eggers, & Sapphire Olive Eggers are all technically just different varieties of Easter Eggers. Just fancy names, & different mixes.

Easter Eggers can have any color plumage, comb type, leg color, can be beardless, & lay any color egg.

"Americanas" from Hoovers are just Easter-eggers that they misleadingly label with a misspell of the true breed name, Ameraucana. Looks like most of your birds are from that group, but the Bluebell eggers also look quite similar and it would be hard to say which came from which group beyond that the Bluebells don't seem to have beards in any of the pictures I'm finding of them. What they call Easter-eggers are EEs as well, just from a different mix to produce them. It's confusing, but the other poster is correct, the term Easter-egger is just used for any mixed or non-standard bird that could lay blue or green eggs.

Luna is a Starlight Green Egger. Helga and Hermione might be as well, but could also be Olive-eggers, what they call Easter-eggers, or Bluebells.

I agree that there are no Marans in your group. I also don't see any Sapphire Olive-eggers.

They are all pullets. 🙂

Hello! I bought 10 chicks, born on Pascha (4/24) this year. They are now 14 weeks old. I don't suspect that any of them are roosters, but I am a first time chicken owner. I ordered the colored egg layers from Tractor Supply (Hoover's Hatchery). Here's the list of possible "breeds" (yes, I do understand that these are just hybrids):

Americana
Olive Egger
Prairie Bluebell Egger™
Sapphire Olive Egger™
Starlight Green Egger™
Midnight Majesty Marans™
French Black Copper Marans
Cuckoo Marans

I don't think any of them are Marans, no one has feathery feet, much to my disappointment. Also, all chickens have 4 toes.

I have named the files their names, so hopefully that helps when referring to them. Let me know if you need any further pics or details! Excited to find out what you all think and if any of them might be a roo!
Not helpful in any way, but I just wanted to comment that I love Bellatrix and Fleur– they look just like my first two EEs, Owl and Chipmunk 😊 I got them as a child, and they’re still some of my favorite chickens that I’ve ever had🥰

All breeds listed except for Marans (which you didn't get) are all mixed breeds and have a good deal of variance within their breeding.

Helga and Hermoine look like Starlight Green Eggers. Luna also looks like a Green Egger. The rest are EEs. In the end, only Helga, Hermione, and Luna's egg color will tell you what they are.

Last edited:
All appear to be variations of Easter Eggers.

Does that mean no way tell tell between the different "breeds" I listed above? Hermione, Luna and Helga are all much larger, have different colored feet and have bigger/different (I think the terms are single versus the others have pea combs?) combs than the other chickens. I thought maybe there might be a way to tell which hybrid breed they are.

Helga looks like she may be a Prairie Bluebell
Luna looks like she may be a Starlight Green
I’m not sure about Hermione, but I think she’s one of the two…

The others are all EE/Americauna, there’s not any way that I know to differentiate between the two from a hatchery…

This may not be right (I googled it lol 😅) but it looks like Prairie Bluebells are a cross between Aracaunas and White Leghorns, and Starlight Greens are a cross between Prairie Bluebells and Brown Eggs Layers (it didn’t specify a breed). I’ve only seen gray colored Sapphire Gems, so I don’t think you have any of those 🤔 This may not be right, I haven’t had any colored egg layers in years, but hopefully it helps a bit 😄

Helga looks like she may be a Prairie Bluebell
Luna looks like she may be a Starlight Green
I’m not sure about Hermione, but I think she’s one of the two…

The others are all EE/Americauna, there’s not any way that I know to differentiate between the two from a hatchery…

This may not be right (I googled it lol 😅) but it looks like Prairie Bluebells are a cross between Aracaunas and White Leghorns, and Starlight Greens are a cross between Prairie Bluebells and Brown Eggs Layers (it didn’t specify a breed). I’ve only seen gray colored Sapphire Gems, so I don’t think you have any of those 🤔 This may not be right, I haven’t had any colored egg layers in years, but hopefully it helps a bit 😄
Thank you! Super helpful - I know it's not an exact science with the "designer hybrids", I appreciate the attempt. Does anyone look like a rooster to you?

Thank you! Super helpful - I know it's not an exact science with the "designer hybrids", I appreciate the attempt. Does anyone look like a rooster to you?
You’re welcome! 😊
No one looks like a rooster that I can tell, but I haven’t had to ID in quite a while– my family never buys straight run after my last failed attempt landed us a Jersey Giant rooster 🤣

"Americanas" from Hoovers are just Easter-eggers that they misleadingly label with a misspell of the true breed name, Ameraucana. Looks like most of your birds are from that group, but the Bluebell eggers also look quite similar and it would be hard to say which came from which group beyond that the Bluebells don't seem to have beards in any of the pictures I'm finding of them. What they call Easter-eggers are EEs as well, just from a different mix to produce them. It's confusing, but the other poster is correct, the term Easter-egger is just used for any mixed or non-standard bird that could lay blue or green eggs.

Luna is a Starlight Green Egger. Helga and Hermione might be as well, but could also be Olive-eggers, what they call Easter-eggers, or Bluebells.

I agree that there are no Marans in your group. I also don't see any Sapphire Olive-eggers.

They are all pullets. 🙂

My son is very disappointed that we're not going to be able to call any of them "Harry" 🤣

Back
Top Bottom