Help me identify this wee beastie please (injury pics)

This is so far the only possible culprit that the camera has seen.

Attachments

• 20230505_214825.jpg
    20230505_214825.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 53
The bite marks could have been cat mouth sized, but I just can't imagine a cat would have gone into the coop through the little pop hole door and dragged 4 chickens out, biting them but not eating them, and just taking one head off? What do you think?
VERY LIKELY!
Often domestic animals are responsible for the 'thrill kills', hence the carcass wasn't carried away for clandestine dining or feeding the young.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I set up a large humane animal trap but it caught nothing.

I also set up a trail camera and it caught a large cat on camera sniffing the coop door. The bite marks could have been cat mouth sized, but I just can't imagine a cat would have gone into the coop through the little pop hole door and dragged 4 chickens out, biting them but not eating them, and just taking one head off? What do you think?

The creature came back a couple of nights later (before I got the camera set up, so don't know what animal it was) and dragged the bodies out of a sack I'd put them in but not disposed of yet, and ate another head but nothing more.

Still very strange. No other animals on camera besides a big toad, and another cat who didn't go near the coop.
Cats often kill without eating, mostly because most domestic cats think hunting is play and food is what their lowly humans provide to them, on demand, but they may have come back and messed with the bodies. I think foxes would have killed all of the hens. I would try preventative measures, solar motion lights, buttoning up the run to make it more difficult for predators and someone @LTAY1946 mentioned, in another post, electric fencing which could be a great deterrent. There may be some better options at your local farm store or B&Q, but in a quick search, something like this?

https://www.diy.com/departments/t-mech-electric-fence-energiser/5055986114451_BQ.prd
or
https://www.ukcountrystore.co.uk/acatalog/Poultry-Chicken-Electric-Fencing-Kits.html

This cat looked a bit mangey with some bald patches so I wondered if it was a farm cat, used to hunting.

I did read that taking the heads was a typical weasel/mink/stoat modus operandi.

I have put some motion sensor lights out there, so hopefully that will scare off anything that prefers to slink in the dark. They are locked up every night now, no complacency here any more.

Won't go down the electric fence route, because knowing me I'd forget to turn it off and bbq my chickens instead 😂 (or zap me)! Thanks for the suggestion though.

Won't go down the electric fence route, because knowing me I'd forget to turn it off and bbq my chickens instead 😂 (or zap me)! Thanks for the suggestion though.
The electric fence is outside of the chicken fence or run. It's easy to leave the fence on 24/7 by having a gate that let's you unplug until you are done and then plug the hot wires back in. There is an attachment to the hot wire that lets you handle it without touching the wire itself. I put one up years ago to keep roaming dogs out of an acre garden. We had a huge male dog that was causing a lot of damage nightly. The first night I heard the old guy screaming. It seamed that I had spaced the wires just right that when he had gotten trough and his maleness was touching a wire the shock cycled on an he didn't know whether to come on in or try and back out. After a lot of crying out I fired a shot into the ground with a 22 rifle he ran on in and with a second shot into the ground he ran back through it full speed ahead to never be seen again. :D

The electric fence is outside of the chicken fence or run. It's easy to leave the fence on 24/7 by having a gate that let's you unplug until you are done and then plug the hot wires back in. There is an attachment to the hot wire that lets you handle it without touching the wire itself. I put one up years ago to keep roaming dogs out of an acre garden. We had a huge male dog that was causing a lot of damage nightly. The first night I heard the old guy screaming. It seamed that I had spaced the wires just right that when he had gotten trough and his maleness was touching a wire the shock cycled on an he didn't know whether to come on in or try and back out. After a lot of crying out I fired a shot into the ground with a 22 rifle he ran on in and with a second shot into the ground he ran back through it full speed ahead to never be seen again. :D
That is funny, sad but funny. I really wish people kept their dogs properly too. It really isn't fair to the dogs or neighbors to let dogs roam. I know there are cases where dogs are escape artists, but it just isn't safe. Our dogs are family and in the house with us, because if something happened to them, I would be crushed.

I wouldn't think they zap to kill just a deterrent from anything going in or out. I don't have one yet, but I was raised on a dairy farm and we used electric fences for the cows, I have touched the fence and the bullseye on the fencer, it bites but not really dangerous. (just enough to let you know you forgot to turn it off..lol) I hope that you never have to go through this again, and it sounds like you have a good plan in place. :)

This cat looked a bit mangey with some bald patches so I wondered if it was a farm cat, used to hunting.

I did read that taking the heads was a typical weasel/mink/stoat modus operandi.

I have put some motion sensor lights out there, so hopefully that will scare off anything that prefers to slink in the dark. They are locked up every night now, no complacency here any more.

Do you have fisher near you?

Back
Top Bottom