Help me identify what killed our chicken please

@jeffreybar , i agree with you the predator was most likely a hawk. A mid-day attack, plus the piles of feathers around the carcass (hawks pluck feathers on birds before they eat), are classic hawk attack markers. Also, the fact the other flock members were visibly upset points to a hawk too. A hawk usually plucks and eats their prey where they killed it, & that causes a lot more stress to the other flock members that are forced to watch in horror, compared to larger predators that quickly carry their prey away.

As far as knowing what local predators are in your area (you werent sure about weasels), you can google (your county, state) native wildlife & learn your potential chicken predators. Ive never seen a weasel in my area either, but according to my local native wildlife search, black-tailed weasels are present here.

Its very true chickens are much happier with more freedom to range. Especially once they've tasted freedom outside of their enclosed run; before then they didnt know what they were missing. My flocks free-range daily in a wooded rural area with guardian dogs to watch over them. Still, over the years ive ocassionally lost chickens to hawks, fox, & even neighbor's dogs. Always during the daytime while they were roaming free. Its a constant, continual balancing act for sure. Very sorry for your loss.
A week ago I was looking to find out what killed my chicken. You described it perfectly, it plucks out feathers and starts eating, along with a hole in its neck.....ugh hawks.

We are new to chickens and have tried to do our best to keep them safe (electric pen, enclosed run with hardware cloth floor, etc.), but we got sloppy and were letting them free range in our backyard (they seemed so happy to run around out there! :( ). One day, around midday, while they were out running around the yard, our smallest chicken was killed (a silkie, probably about 2.5 lbs). All of the other chickens were visibly very upset, so they clearly saw something. We found her carcass in the corner of the yard with piles of feathers all around it...whatever it was had eaten her head, neck, and most of her front. Her legs and back were untouched. There were no other signs of struggle elsewhere in the yard.

My internet research suggests this was probably a hawk. Does that seem the most likely culprit? We definitely have hawks, raccoons, possum, skunks, coyote, foxes, dogs, feral cats, and black bears in the area.

Thanks for your help.
A hawk would have more than likely carried the chicken away, leaving no real evidence behind, with it being a silkie. I am so sorry for your loss. I have Silkies myself and Frizzles as well. I know how precious they are. This may help give you a guide to go by to help you solve the mystery.
Minks and Weasels, The chickens will show signs of an attack by either of these animals on the sides of their heads. These animals have a tendency to go after several birds and, after killing them, piling them neatly in a pile together. Interestingly, both these animals only eat the back of the head and neck of the birds. These chicken killers, can fit through a space as small as 1/4 of an inch. Scary, I know.
Raccoons Usually come back 5 to 7 days and after killing a bird, will only eat its head and crop. If they're hungry enough, they'll sometimes dine on more than one bird.
Opossums Often only kills one chicken per visit. They will then only devour its abdomen. The main focus of the visit, though, is typically eggs.
Owl The Great horned owl will sometimes go after poultry. This large owl will typically only go after one or two birds, using its talons to pierce the bird's brain. They will only devour the chicken's head and neck. Look for feathers on a fence post near where you keep your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom