Help me legalize chickens in West Chicago, IL!

You may want to speak with city officials in St. charles and find out how the zoning was modified in that town and address the possible modifications with the West Chicago city officials.
Posting some flyers may help some but you need to reach a broader audience to gain support.

I just moved to Libertyville from Seattle (a very friendly chicken town, I might add!) and I am trying to find out what the options are here, and not sure where to start. Any idea's? Thanks!

I am just starting out after I have to give up my hens because of the city ordinance. I'm starting by trying to get a group of people willing to give up some of their time and attending a city hall meeting. In West Chicago it is this Monday the 4th. I will probably be the only one attending on short notice but I want to let the city know of our intentions. We have gotten a lot of support so far in only a couple of days so I think this can be done. I am learning as I go here so I will keep posting on our progress.

West Chicago city council meeting Tuesday, September 2nd @ 7:00 pm
Anyone interested in having chickens legalized in West Chicago should attend to show the city we support having changes made to the ordinance. I brought the topic up at the council meeting in August, now we need to show that there are residents invested in seeing the law changed.
Please attend if can, the meetings are normally very short (1/2 hour or so) so it wont take up a lot of your time.
If you have questions for me my email is [email protected]
Thank you in advance, Pat

Yay! Help is always needed! We actually went to the meeting and spoke with an aldermen before hand and he gave us great advice. We know him from awhile back, were suppose to go to the public affair committee meeting on sept 22! So your welcome to come!! Were bringing forth all the ordinances in cities in surrounding areas as well as a purposes plan and facts!

City of West Chicago Public Affairs Committee meeting, Monday, September 22nd @ 7:00 pm
Anyone interested should come to this meeting and if you would like, each person is allowed 3 minutes to speak on this issue.
I have copies of ordinances from surrounding communities and also a proposal of what I personally would like to see the city allow for backyard chickens, which I will give to the committee at this meeting.

Any concerns or questions....my email is [email protected]

Thanks to all,
Pat

The Public Affairs committee meeting went fairly well with the council members agreeing to obtain more information on this issue. They seemed willing to keep an open mind. It will be important that we keep attending these meetings and thank you all who turned out Monday night, it was a good start.
The next meeting is October 27th @ 6:30 pm (we learned that the city states the meeting starts at 7 pm but in reality it starts at 6:30) I don't know why that is but unless you dig a little deeper on the city's website you will find the 6:30 start time but initially, it states 7.
If anyone has ideas or issues we should bring up at the next meeting please feel free to bring them up. Also, if anyone is willing to be a spokesperson for our group it will help. I am not the best public speaker in the world so I could use some help there.

Thank You,
Pat

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom