Help me make my kennel a brooder

TnMama

Songster
9 Years
Jan 25, 2010
West Tn
Hi. My 6 day old babies are outgrowing their Rubbermaid tub brooder already. I don't have a top for it. One of the bitties is climbing on top of the waterer. I need to move them. I've seen some folks use large dog kennels, so that's what I'm going to do. What are some recommendations on doing this? Keeping them warm will be a concern, as well as keeping the pine shaving mess at bay. It's a large kennel, with an easy to clean plastic bottom. I'm using a regular old heat lamp for heat. My dog is now 5 months old & rarely gets in it anymore. It's about 24 inches tall, 3 feet long,& 2 feet across.
Thanks y'all.

I use one of those as a day pen when mine are little. Chicks can easily slip through the wire until they are about 3 weeks. I would cut down some boxes and line the bottom and put up side about 8 inches up. It will keep are the bedding in, trap the heat and keep them from getting out. The heat lamp should adequately heat them. You can also throw a towel over the top if you can't get the temp up.

Last edited:
Thank you thank you. I'm a sucker & hit TSC just now & brought home 5 more. 2 bantams. These might be 2 days old. So I've got to move them, like right now. I got cardboard at tsc

They are doing well so far. I figured they'd huddle directly under the lamp, but they aren't. The new bantams are the only ones doing that,& only some of the time. They're sticking closer to the food /water. I dipped each beak when I moved them. They seem quite happy in there. One of the new NH Refs was chirruping loud last night at my bed time, while others were sleeping. She was fine. I'm keeping my house between 69-72 right now. Cooler at night bc we sleep hot. They're near a window, but away from vents. I hope this thing is big enough for all of them until they get their feathers. I'll take them outside some maybe next weekend, but just the big ones w feathers. I've never had any bantams before, so I'm winging it on their care. My DH was truly impressed that I thought to use the kennel. Axel dog rarely uses it anymore now that he's housebroken. He's almost 6 months old, a Rottie. He's curious as to what is in his house! But not for long & not bothering them. Hope it stays that way.

Back
Top Bottom