Help me name my found dog **back with her owners**

Hmm, I like the impostor idea.....spy dog.....maybe Mata, as in Mata Hari? The name, by the way, is Malay-- it means "eye of the day."

She's got such a sweet happy face I think Snickers fits her. Or if we're talking a one in a million dog I think Powerball is cool.

She looks like either a Lucy or a Cindy to me. I was gonna say Sadie, but that one's probably a bit played out.

smile.png

I wouldn't check craigslist for a lost dog. Never even thought of it. I only go on there maybe once every few months to look through stuff when I'm bored. I don't get a newspaper. How would the humane society know who's dog it is and how many people actually deal with their local shelter? The only reason I do is because I take my dogs to classes that use their facilities. None of your attempts would have reached me if it were my dog. Although if it were my dog I'd have plastered the freaking town and every neighboring town with flyers offering a reward and run an ad in the newspaper despite the fact I don't get one along with talking to everyone from neighbors to vets to the shelter 2 towns over and posting across the internet.

I would suggest making some quick flyers and printing them out. Drop one at each vet and maybe the feed store or similar. Some local grocery stores will let you put them up too. First get the poor thing checked for a micro chip. It may have slipped it's collar or run off right after bath time but has a chip. There are also a few people who think if they microchip they don't need ID on their dog.... That only works if someone first checks for a chip, second the chip is found, and third they have the type of reader to get the info off the chip. That's why mine always have tags on. Just because someone doesn't see your ads doesn't mean they aren't missing their dog and she isn't missing them. I'd know within minutes that my dog was gone (still doesn't mean I can catch her before she disapears) but I would not have seen any of your ads. I also don't use a local vet. I dislike the vet in town and the town 10mins away. I prefer a vet that's a 30mins drive. The local vet wouldn't recognize my dog at all and I rarely go in their office.

Last edited:
I wouldn't check craigslist for a lost dog. Never even thought of it. I only go on there maybe once every few months to look through stuff when I'm bored. I don't get a newspaper.

I figured that not everyone would check craigslist, so that's why I put the ad on two different places. I also know that not everyone gets a newspaper, but if I lost my dog, I would sure as anything pick one up.

How would the humane society know who's dog it is and how many people actually deal with their local shelter?

Most people I know would go in to the humane society/shelter because of the dog catcher. When I lost a dog a few years ago, I went to the shelter every day for about 2 months. We also have a hotline we can call every day to see what the day's catch was, including people who call in to say that they're holding a dog. I searched through the reports of missing dogs there, and there is nothing which fits her description.

None of your attempts would have reached me if it were my dog. Although if it were my dog I'd have plastered the freaking town and every neighboring town with flyers offering a reward and run an ad in the newspaper despite the fact I don't get one along with talking to everyone from neighbors to vets to the shelter 2 towns over and posting across the internet.

This is where you are wrong. You said that you would put an ad in the newspaper (which I have checked every day). There are definitely no ads for a lost dog of her description. I stop and look at EVERY lost dog flyer I see around town. I took her around the neighborhood to see if anyone had seen her before. No leads at all.

I would suggest making some quick flyers and printing them out. Drop one at each vet and maybe the feed store or similar. Some local grocery stores will let you put them up too. First get the poor thing checked for a micro chip. It may have slipped it's collar or run off right after bath time but has a chip. There are also a few people who think if they microchip they don't need ID on their dog.... That only works if someone first checks for a chip, second the chip is found, and third they have the type of reader to get the info off the chip. That's why mine always have tags on. Just because someone doesn't see your ads doesn't mean they aren't missing their dog and she isn't missing them. I'd know within minutes that my dog was gone (still doesn't mean I can catch her before she disapears) but I would not have seen any of your ads. I also don't use a local vet. I dislike the vet in town and the town 10mins away. I prefer a vet that's a 30mins drive. The local vet wouldn't recognize my dog at all and I rarely go in their office

After my last experience with returning a lost dog, I would rather not knock on someone's door to return a dog. I especially don't want to take a dog that I like to a completely unknown situation. I will check her for a microchip before I completely claim her, but I don't have a lot of respect for someone who appears to have made no effort to find her.

As far as flyers go, if I didn't like this dog or had no interest in keeping her, I would be plastering them everywhere. I could drop off a flyer at every vet in town, but if they only want their dog back badly enough to go to one vet's office, they don't want her back enough. As it stands, I could care less if I find her owner, I'd be thrilled to keep her.

The owners don't appear to be missing her because they have made zero effort to find her. No flyers, no ads, nothing that I can see. She doesn't seem to be missing them. She's eating well, loving going for rides in the truck with my dogs and doesn't seem the least bit depressed or despondant.

There is a large population of college students in this town. My best guess is that one of them couldn't move with her, so they took her out in the country and dumped her. It happens more than I'd like to admit here.​

Sorry if this is going to cause offense but I sure hope no one like you finds my dog if it gets lost. I hope someone who truly does want to reunite her with me finds her instead. I microchipped for a reason. The people who don't check for chips are the ones that make them worthless and because of that slow down the progress of getting necessary scanners into shelters and vet offices. If no one scans there's no point in putting in the money and effort. I don't chip my cats even though I'd like to have backup ID on them because I know the odds of them being scanned is darn close to zero. Unless someone happens to decide they aren't feral, doesn't shoot them, and then decides to take them to a shelter instead of keeping them they aren't going to get scanned.

Even if I would put flyers and newspaper ads out what if I were hiking on one of our trails 100s of miles away in another state? Or I sometimes go to demos with a group all across the country. One time when I was not along they got in an accident on the interstate and lost several of the dogs who had been in their kennels without collars on. They ran off into the fields and no one could predict what town they'd end up in. If it wasn't for news coverage of the accident and missing dogs the knowledge would not have made it across as many towns as it did. It would have taken lots of newspaper ads all over the place and guesswork as to which areas would be best to run one in. One dog was returned on their chip alone without the person seeing any of the ads or news report of the missing dogs. Most others were recognized by the police department when they got calls of a loose dog and scanned to be sure before reporting it found to the owners so they could pick the dogs up.

Personally I think it seems rather selfish to just go ahead and start planning to keep a dog without doing basic things likes flyers in the town or checking for a chip all based on one bad event. There are dozens of stories of happy endings with pets being reunited to loving homes under circumstances that they never would have been recovered otherwise because someone did go that extra step to find the owners. I hope someone like that finds Zami if she were to get loose while we're traveling. I really don't know what I'd do if I lost her aside from cry for weeks. Zami would probably be just as upset about being seperated from me.

Back
Top Bottom