Help me out! Day 22 and very large air cell.

Chickychick25

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2020
Today is day 22 for me. I had incubated five eggs out of which two hatched(both today). There are no signs of pip in my other eggs. When I tried candling, the air cells are large. Too large!!!! Mine is a homemade incubator and this is my first attempt to hatch these little ones. I've two full bowls of water to raise the humidity during the lockdown, but still the air cells are very large. Is there a problem with my eggs? Should I be worried about the chicks that hasn't hatched? These little ones which are out toss and roll the other three eggs. Will they hatch???? Help me out!!!!

Today is day 22 for me. I had incubated five eggs out of which two hatched(both today). There are no signs of pip in my other eggs. When I tried candling, the air cells are large. Too large!!!! Mine is a homemade incubator and this is my first attempt to hatch these little ones. I've two full bowls of water to raise the humidity during the lockdown, but still the air cells are very large. Is there a problem with my eggs? Should I be worried about the chicks that hasn't hatched? These little ones which are out toss and roll the other three eggs. Will they hatch???? Help me out!!!!

In order to be able to help, we’ll need more information. Temperature? Humidity levels during incubation and hatch? Type of incubator (be descriptive for homemade)? Are they from your chickens (good nutrition and hardy genes) or bought or shipped? Could you upload pictures of the air cells? You can draw these on lightly with a pencil and then take a shot, but a photo while candling is better. So many things can go wrong in incubation so it takes some work to figure out what needs to fixed. They might hatch still, but the later it gets, the less likely they are to do so. Try not to fiddle with them too much as that doesn’t help things either.

With homemade incubators, measuring humidity with multiple hygrometers and also keeping close track of temperature is imperative - this is why so many of us choose to buy an incubator, especially for those new to hatching. But don’t worry, you’ll learn from mistakes and that will lead to better hatches in the future 😊

In order to be able to help, we’ll need more information. Temperature? Humidity levels during incubation and hatch? Type of incubator (be descriptive for homemade)? Are they from your chickens (good nutrition and hardy genes) or bought or shipped? Could you upload pictures of the air cells? You can draw these on lightly with a pencil and then take a shot, but a photo while candling is better. So many things can go wrong in incubation so it takes some work to figure out what needs to fixed. They might hatch still, but the later it gets, the less likely they are to do so. Try not to fiddle with them too much as that doesn’t help things either.
The temperature is around 37.5C and I don't have a hygrometer to check the humidity levels.Since, it's a homemade incubator, I've two bowls of water to raise the humidity during lockdown. It's a cardboard incubator with styrofoam walls. These aren't my chickens . I bought it from a friend of mine . These chicken are fed with highly nutritious food and multigrains.

When I went to the incubator to take a picture *surprise surprise* A little one was hatching from the same egg I had mentioned. Two more to go!!!! Should I candled now to take a picture or just leave it? I'm asking for a suggestion because am no chicken expert!!!! Thanks a lot for your reply.😊

With homemade incubators, measuring humidity with multiple hygrometers and also keeping close track of temperature is imperative - this is why so many of us choose to buy an incubator, especially for those new to hatching. But don’t worry, you’ll learn from mistakes and that will lead to better hatches in the future 😊

Yes, it was hard to keep the temperature under check. But thankfully since I didn't open the incubator much and had a thermostat, the temperature was appropriate. It's really expensive to buy an incubator though🙃Thanks a lot for your positive response. Out of the two chicks that hatched earlier, one has its legs sideways. It doesn't look like a splayed leg. The leg is kinda turned to a side. What might be the reason? He broke the egg off and came out only 19 hours after pipping. He is very active. He runs and jumps but his leg is sidewards.

Attachments

• JPEG_20201020_113909_8169939079781651409.jpg
    JPEG_20201020_113909_8169939079781651409.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 17
  • JPEG_20201020_114135_3533544064482769079.jpg
    JPEG_20201020_114135_3533544064482769079.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 17
Yes, it was hard to keep the temperature under check. But thankfully since I didn't open the incubator much and had a thermostat, the temperature was appropriate. It's really expensive to buy an incubator though🙃Thanks a lot for your positive response. Out of the two chicks that hatched earlier, one has its legs sideways. It doesn't look like a splayed leg. The leg is kinda turned to a side. What might be the reason? He broke the egg off and came out only 19 hours after pipping. He is very active. He runs and jumps but his leg is sidewards.

Improper humidity and temperature during incubation can cause some defects - I would post this separately in the forum to ask opinions of what to do as I’ve never had a chick hatch with any leg issues (though many people have). You might want to try and split it or correct it according to the advice of others on this forum as some of these issues can be fixed in a few days and that would be best for the chick.

I would also leave the other two eggs be, as even if the air cells are too large, fiddling with them now isn’t going to help at all. If they don’t hatch, feel free to get photos of the air cells so we can see what you mean. I would suggest getting a hygrometer to add to the homemade incubator so you can keep track of both humidity and temperature - this will probably result in better hatches. Try to make sure the thermometer is down by the eggs as it usually is colder down there then the top of the incubator for still air set ups (and this could also partially be why the eggs are delayed).

You’ve done quite well with the hatch so far considering your set up and experience, so obviously you’re doing some things right. Ultimately if the eggs are fresh/clean and from a good source, it comes down to three things: humidity, temperature, and turning 😊

Improper humidity and temperature during incubation can cause some defects - I would post this separately in the forum to ask opinions of what to do as I’ve never had a chick hatch with any leg issues (though many people have). You might want to try and split it or correct it according to the advice of others on this forum as some of these issues can be fixed in a few days and that would be best for the chick.

I would also leave the other two eggs be, as even if the air cells are too large, fiddling with them now isn’t going to help at all. If they don’t hatch, feel free to get photos of the air cells so we can see what you mean. I would suggest getting a hygrometer to add to the homemade incubator so you can keep track of both humidity and temperature - this will probably result in better hatches. Try to make sure the thermometer is down by the eggs as it usually is colder down there then the top of the incubator for still air set ups (and this could also partially be why the eggs are delayed).

You’ve done quite well with the hatch so far considering your set up and experience, so obviously you’re doing some things right. Ultimately if the eggs are fresh/clean and from a good source, it comes down to three things: humidity, temperature, and turning 😊

Thanks a lot for posting separately. Only if I know what the issue is, I could rectify it soon since bones would become strong as these chicks grow.
Sure, I'll post the picture with a large air cell. Last time I candled (yesterday), I could see blood veins. Just like you had mentioned, I'm planning to order a hygrometer and yes, I could feel the hatch getting delayed. Mine started hatching only on the day 22.

I turned the eggs five to six times a day until lockdown and the temperature seemed fine. Humidity must have been a problem. I'll make sure to check it next time. Thanks again for your response.

I didn't read the post about his leg until after I posted. Hope you can find help with that. About your hatch, did you count the day you set the eggs as day 1 or day 0? The humidity wouldn't cause a delay in hatching, only the temperature would affect that.

Back
Top Bottom