Help Me Out! Please!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CountryBoy222, Dec 10, 2016.

1. CountryBoy222

CountryBoy222 New Egg

Dec 10, 2016
    Hello all. New to the BYC community, here in the Fairfield County, CT area getting ready for a nice cold New England winter. I could use all the help I can get when it comes to hens, hen houses and feed and protection from elements and predators like raccoons. Having a fox proof coop isn't enough around here.
    I've done so much research, but I feel like it's just overwhelmed my brain. I guess I just gotta get hands on experience. If anyone has a spare coop, parts, advice and/or looking for help with your flock or farm, please let me know. It would be very much appreciated. Thank you, Merry Christmas!

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Are there any specific questions you have?

3. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

:welcome And like Flockmaster said it's kind of hard to help you out without being asked specific questions. Do you have chickens yet or are you just learning? You seem worried about the cold so what's your coop setup like?
    Merry Christmas to you to :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under CountryBoy222 [​IMG] Welcome!

So, I am guessing you do not yet have chickens and are still in the research stage?

I think your best place to start would be finding your local thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.
    You should get some help with some of your questions there and you may also find someone willing to give you some hands on experience on their farm or with their flock; show you the ropes etc.

I wish you luck and hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would advise checking out the coops section to find what chickens need in terms of housing, and also the predator threads for advice on securing coop & run. [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

All the info around can make things seem overwhelming but talking to members on your state thread and checking out the coop/run forums should help you get settled on what you need.

Good luck to you!

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

9. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
  10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the wonderful world of Backyard Chickens! I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by