Help Me Out White Leg Horn Owners! (or peeps in the know!)

microchick

2 Dozen Chickens Past Normal!
9 Years
Dec 31, 2014
NE Missouri
As many know here on BYC, I'm one of the lucky flock keepers who has been dealing with the reality of Marek's Disease in the past.

I've added vaccinated bantams in years ago with good luck, and I've added Egyptian Fayoumis which are known for their genetic resistance to MD. Recently though I have lost some of my 1 and 3 year old bantam hens to what I suspect is a genetic heart defect. They are 'dead right now' and not showing any symptoms of Marek's disease. Found the last one on her back yesterday and this is really putting a dent in my egg producing population.

As a result I'm facing adding some MD resistant layers to my flock that in the future I can cross breed to my EF roosters for boosted genetic resistance and I've been told that WLH chickens are one of the few that are resistant to MD. I'd like to add 6 pullets this spring and was talking to the manager of Buchheits/aka Orshelns until recently here, who told me that all of their chicks come from Hoover and Privett and are all vaccinated for EVERYTHING.

Okay, that is a plus. But what I want to know from you all is tell me about your experiences with WLHs in general in regards to them having a more natural/genetic resistance to MD than most birds. I've read a few articles that support that they are but have also read queries from people who say they have WLH that have come down with Marek's Disease.

Given that these chicks will be vaccinated as well as (if they do) possess natural immunity, will they be a good choice for layer additions to my flock and use in my 'Breeding for Resistance' ongoing project?

I personally don’t own any leghorns, however Ideal poultry has a chicken called the Ideal 236 which has been bred with some immunity to Marek’s. Maybe check their website, and give them a call if you have any questions about it.

I personally don’t own any leghorns, however Ideal poultry has a chicken called the Ideal 236 which has been bred with some immunity to Marek’s. Maybe check their website, and give them a call if you have any questions about it.
Thanks Iluveggers! I'll hit their web site and look around and do that if I have any questions.

I have a handful of unvaccinated leghorns in a positive flock. One female started limping and was culled, but never got worse than limping. One rooster runs a bit funny, but I'm thinking it's just him and not Mareks. The other male and four or so females so far aren't showing any issues.

Mine was vaccinated but still had ocular Mareks. She never had any symptoms other than her eye looking weird but she gave it to some of my unvaccinated chicks.

I looked on Ideal's site. Interesting. Their information page covers things that most hatcheries don't bother with.

I have Egyptian Fayoumis. But now I'm wondering which heritage breed is most naturally resistant to Marek's. White leg horn, brown leg horn or Ancona the last three along with California grays making up the birds Ideal has bred to create the Ideal 236.

Anybody what to take a guess?

@TheDawg, I had two hens and one rooster with OMD. It sux and you have my sympathy. I was lucky in that my husband was able to diagnose it for me which saved me having to pay for a necropsy done on one of them. He's my Dr. Honey and has been very supportive not to mention helpful when it comes to dealing with eye problems with my chickens. He laughs about all the years in med school just to take care of chicken eyes in his retirement.

I looked on Ideal's site. Interesting. Their information page covers things that most hatcheries don't bother with.

I have Egyptian Fayoumis. But now I'm wondering which heritage breed is most naturally resistant to Marek's. White leg horn, brown leg horn or Ancona the last three along with California grays making up the birds Ideal has bred to create the Ideal 236.

Anybody what to take a guess?

@TheDawg, I had two hens and one rooster with OMD. It sux and you have my sympathy. I was lucky in that my husband was able to diagnose it for me which saved me having to pay for a necropsy done on one of them. He's my Dr. Honey and has been very supportive not to mention helpful when it comes to dealing with eye problems with my chickens. He laughs about all the years in med school just to take care of chicken eyes in his retirement.
Glad you have him! That’s awesome! It definitely sucks though.

Back
Top Bottom