Help me pick a breed???

How funny to read about how different chickens of the same breed can be! I, too, am no expert, having only had hens for 2 years, but I've sure got my favorites. My 3 RR Reds are spunky, assertive, and more aggressive to the other hens. My 2 Buff Orpingtons are big, fluffy sweeties. They stroll around in a mellow fashion and don't cause trouble for anybody. One of them does have a tendency to go broody.

My 2 New Hampshire Reds are inquisitive, fearless, and sometimes too friendly. They're more active than the BOs, but otherwise have a similar temperament.

My 3 Easter Eggers (sold to me as Ameraucanas when I didn't know otherwise, lol) are beautiful, flighty, and fidgety. They lay lovely eggs (blueish green, in contrast to the others' shades of brown), but are not the friendly little souls that I'd expected. BUT, I bought them as 12- week old youngsters who'd been raised in a big flock, whereas all of the others I purchased as days-old chicks and raised by hand. That probably accounts for some of their skittishness. I will say I worry less about a random stray dog somehow getting into our yard with those 3 birds than the others. The EEs would head for the trees and fly, while I'm afraid the others, esp. the BOs, would crouch down and wait to die.

So those are my chickens
smile.png
. Your mileage, as evidenced by this thread, may vary!

Our pullets are just about ready to start laying, so I can't say much in the way of egg production. BUT, I do want to say that our Golden-Laced and Silver-Laced Wyandottes are some of the most attractive chickens we've seen. Funny thing is - the GL are much more friendlier than the SL and they have all been raised together from day 3. Go figure :)

Back
Top Bottom