Help Me Pick A Breed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kimhinojos, Mar 14, 2013.

1. kimhinojos

kimhinojos Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    I really want a duckling that'll be cute when it grows up, doesn't fly & is quiet. I live somewhat in the city and my parents think that when my duck grows up it'll be ugly and that I won't want it anymore, but that isn't true. I'm homeschooled so I need a bestfriend someone I can talk to and take places.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    1. All females have the potential to be loud.

2. Ducks really benefit from another duck friend. There's no possible way you will be able to spend all your time with it for the next 10-15 years. If it had a friend then it wouldn't be lonely when you aren't around.

3. I think human companionship would be more beneficial for your situation than a duck.

3. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I think a lot of people are biased and I'm no exception hah. I love Pekin ducks for a lot of reasons. They are a big breed but they are also easy to associate with. Little yellow ducklings that grow to be a striking white (or creamy yellow) and are famous thanks to the Aflac duck. I love my Pekin because she is very cuddly and sweet, wanting to sit on my lap at all times. Not next to me, on me hah. I take her everywhere I can and enjoy sharing her with others. She will just sit there and let anyone pet her. As an indoor duck my neighbors have no reason to complain about noise or smell.

I don't know if you are planning to keep your indoors, if you do you will want to diaper your duck! There's a few diaper makers online. I do want to remind you that once a duck imprints to you, it's irreversable. You can't take it to a lake or pond and "release" it as there are no instincts to find food, thrive or protect itself. If you aren't planning to keep your duck indoors you should get two or three, but don't keep a single duck outdoors by itself as they're social and need companionship. If you have any questions about keeping an indoor, imprinted diaper duck, feel free to message me. I can try to help or atleast direct you to others who can :)

4. DaddyBird

DaddyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    It probably isn't just that they don't they don't think you will still want it, but several other things as well. Ducks are social animals that need other ducks around to be happy. They need special care, like to make big messes, and aren't really easy to properly care for in a city environment.

5. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    Do you have chickens yet or not? I think a chicken might be a better pick in your case. Ducks are MESSY!!! and they need clean water they can swim in 24/7!

6. countrystarfarm

countrystarfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    I agree chickens are quieter if you get hens my ducks are all loud and messy and less social than the chickens.

7. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I have to agree with the majority of opinions. A single duck won't be a happy duck. A duck kept indoors needs special care and cannot be kept in a diaper all of the time or it will become ill. So, you will have a duck inside that will be pooping whereever it is.

You are young.

Your life will change.

You will likely move from your parents home within the duck's life. And you will most likely not move somewhere that you can have a duck.

Ducks are considered either livestock or waterfowl by city laws and are illegal to keep in almost every city environment. Even places that allow chickens do not typically allow ducks.

You need to think about what would be best for the duck in the long run. When you are older and have your own house you can get as many as you'd like.

8. theduckgirl4110

theduckgirl4110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Sorry guys but alot of that isnt true.You can get a female and you can get one as long as you spend alot of time with her.( this for the soon to be owner)Another good chose would that if have another pet they can bond and then you wouldnt have to spend so much time with the duck.Some qiuet female breeds are anconas,cayugas,and ive heard that appleyards are somewhat quiet.Your duck will bond with you and will be happy as a lone duck only if you spend alot of time wwith her.Of course you can get whatever gender or breed you want.Just given you some advice.Have fun!!

9. theduckgirl4110

theduckgirl4110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Ducks dont need swimming water all the time.As long as you love them theyll be happy and make an excellent pet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by