Help me pick out chick breeds?

chicken+quail=luv

Songster
12 Years
Nov 18, 2008
Strawberry fields.
Hey all!
big_smile.png
Well, it finally feels like spring around here, and we're getting 4-6 spankin' new chicks! After being chicken-less for about 3 months, we're all missing the little birds dearly.
sad.png
And that's why we're getting chickies! I was assigned as the 'breed selector', and we have chosen the hatchery we're getting our chicks from. Will you guys help me out a little, tell me which breeds I say below are the friendliest, lay well, and the ones you enjoyed most to keep. These chickens will be food providers (egg layers) and pets that we would like to occasionally pet. Thanks guys!
smile.png

Delaware (which we have had before)
Buff Orpington
Lakenvelder
Rhode Island Red
Black Australorp
Possibly Wyandottes
Araucanas
Americanas
Possibly Leghorns

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
In this order:

Black Australorp
Buff Orpington
EE / Ameraucanas

I have the above, plus Lakenvelders, and SLW. I like 'em all, but the BA and BO hens are the friendliest, 2nd and 3rd after my Cuckoo Marans. She's a hoot. She flies to my shoulder, is SO talkative and curious.

Americanas and Leghorns!! Leghorns are great layers and Americanas are so pretty... It is mostly how much you handle them growing up that makes them friendly.

My choices of the ones you listed would be:

SLW or BLRW - because they are gorgeous
BO - because they are friendly and go broody
EE - because they are diverse and lay blue or green eggs

I think your list is great! Besides the Leghorns.....I never recommend them, very flighty and skiddish and I don't know anything about the lakenvelder.
I would recommend: RIR, buff orp, australorps, delawares, wyandottes and Aruacana\\Americana's
Good luck!

I was doing the same this (How many breeds are there??? I'm supposed to PICK ONE???) a few months ago. I now have four different breeds, but they are all chicks. But I'll say why I picked them:

EasterEggers (Americauna mutts): 'cause they are just so darn cute. Know several people with them and they love them.

Black Australorp: good egg producer, pretty

Gold Laced Wyandotte: pretty and brown

Partridge Rock: was supposed to get Speckled Sussex (brown, supposed to have "personality"), but they were out, so got these because they were "pretty and brown".

Obviously, I was looking for pretty pets that lay eggs. Supposedly, the hawks in my area tend to go for light or white breeds, so I ruled out Barred Rocks, Silver Laced Wyandottes, and Buff Orpintons. I wanted brown eggs (don't ask me why), so looked for breeds that laid brown. And, I figured that I could get a few different breeds and see which ones I liked best and maybe get more later.

Otherwise, it's a coin toss.

Quote:
Yeah, that is important. Americanas are pretty! We had one, and she was gorgeous.
smile.png

Quote:
I have to say I've never seen any type of Wyandottes before, but from pictures and paintings they do look pretty.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thank you, this was very helpful! Yeah, I have never seen/touched a Leghorn, but they seemed to be popular. Thanks for the info.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom