Help me plan my breed choice, coops, & run. (Pics)

Check with a buy and sell paper at the local supermarket for a used 6 X 8 ft dog kennel. You can usually get one for about 20 bucks. Then use rebars to form an arch covering it, followed by chickenwire for protection and finally some flexible sheet metal for a roof. A 7 ft 2 X 2 should take care of the roost and then two 5 gallon buckets can be strapped to the wire, so long as it has holes for drainage and something blocking the front, so the eggs don't roll out.
That arrangement will allow you to use whatever breed you choose, so long as you keep it small and basic. You can drag it around looking for fresh grass from time to time, provided you have help and it should be small enough that leaving with it when you relocate would not be out of the question.
That will also protect you garden from the chickens, which will almost certainly eat your vegs up. You might even want to use them in the future site of a garden to do some cleaning up for you first.
I am in LA and I do fine with Med. varieties. I didn't check you on a map, but I find those varieties are very good layers, although a little crazy.
I hear that you can rescue egg layers from dog food companies for very little money after they are over a year old (although I consider that a terrible waste on the part of the chicken farmer that got rid of them). That would be a sure way of getting eggs fast, if you can find an egg farm or feed company.
The Indians that raised Araucanas in Chili, believed that their birds faired well against preditors due to the rumpless trait. I know of an araucana farmer in MS that might be able to help you if that is what you decide.
I wish you much success with this venture.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a dog kennel too. With a smallish portable coop (or two) enclosed.

Is there a reason that you don't want your chickens in the fenced in backyard? Admittedly, I skimmed so maybe that would be a more suitable place for a coop of some sort. Seems to me like putting the coop adjacent to a wooded area would just be inviting predators.

And I echo what everyone else says about eggs being cheaper in the store.

I hear that you can rescue egg layers from dog food companies for very little money after they are over a year old

Sometimes, and it may be closer to 16-18 months.

Once egg production drops off, commercial producers have to look at the price of eggs, feed, and replcements, and then decide whether to induce molt and feed through the molt or not. If the numbers aren't in favor of their feeding through the molt, they will get rid of the hens. Otherwise, they'll molt them, and go though one more production cycle.​

Quote:
While I appreciate your experience with the little Silvers I do not want Bantams. I'm hoping for big eggs in big numbers! I must admit I love the idea of a half dozen Rosecomb bantams running around, beautiful little birds. But that'll be a luxury not a real benefit so I'll wait.

This ultimately leads me to this question for you and others, Will a 2/3rd acre area surrounded by electric fence, with possibly other wire at the bottom, provide an area that my chickens will stay in? If not inside will they stay close so they can escape/fly/return to the enclosure?

Thanks,
Phillip

Quote:
I am home 80% of the time, office next to home, except for when picking up kids from school or running errand. The dogs aren't around very much but it only takes one time. Obviously I plan on multiple tractors if looking for 10-12 birds
wink.png

Thanks,
Phillip

Quote:
I'm home most of the time, home office & such. I realize I can move it every day or more, just not sure I like the idea of having to lug around these heavy tractors!

Quote:
What portable plastic electric fencing solution are you talking about? I've got electric fencing, several ways to set it up. I'm favoring T-post and 4 or 5 high strands about 8-10" apart starting @ 5" off the ground. Sound Good?

Quote:
The fenced pasture/yard idea is what I want, I'm just not sure of if it will work. That's what I need yalls input for! If I stick with fairly flighty Mediteranian breeds will they fly out to forage/free range and fly back in for protection? or Should I get big fat non-flying birds that probably won't even attempt to get over the fence once shocked a time or two? Thus keeping them safe inside and predators outside. Thanks for the good luck wishes.

Phillip

Quote:
Infrastructure aside, which obviously is devalued with time but retains some re-sell value. I believe & it was my experience growing up that it is cost effective at the very least to a break even point to have egg producers. I think 3 chickens producing 15-18 eggs per a week would not eat more food in a week than the $2.10 per 18 eggs I pay at my grocer.

I would love to have my chickens in my 5' high cyclone fenced in backyard... except for a couple of things. One it's where the kids & dog play a lot, don't care to have the poop concentrated where it'll be tracked inside! Secondly and just as important, my Boxer has a SUPERCHARGED PREY DRIVE, hates anything small, furry, fast, feathered, .... really if it's not her or her people she'd like to own, kill, maim, attack, inspect, hold, play with, or anything else. Having said all that, she's amazingly intelligent and minds quite well so I plan to have her around the chickens all the time to de-sensitize her. I think we'll be able to get her to be trustable with us around, but NEVER with us not around. But yea, it'd be awesome if I could use my back yard for this reason...
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
!

Phillip

Best wishes as you adjust and plan for your little farm. About your dog, which you describe as aggressive with small animals: we have a GSP who is focused on our chickens/chicken yard all day long, even with months of training with a tone/shock collar. He can barely contain his hunting urge when we are out with him; if we are not in sight, he'll sneak out, furtively look for us, and then head right back to the fence. This note is just a heads up about trainability of dogs who are wired to chase/hunt. Also about the garden's location by the chickens: our little flock has learned where the garden is and they head out the gate at a dead run when we release them for free range, dashing straight for the garden. They relish chard, have decimated my fall planting of spinach and romaine, and Katie=bar=the=door if you have ripe tomatoes, squash, etc, etc! Of course, they'll eat all the bugs and wigglies in the garden while they mow down the veggie crops:) I'm exhausted imagining moving several tractors, even daily or several days a week to manage the ground damage. Since you are home, maybe you could consider what we do: have the flock with coop inside strong fencing (we have a chain link 20 x 20 area but dog kennel panels would also work and be movable for later relocation) and let them out to free range when you are also outdoors to supervise. We too have 3 acres, but our hens have settled into a free range area that is close by their "home." They come back reliably after a period of ranging or hang just outside the fence. So many options for you to think about before shopping for your hens! ~G

Quote:
While I appreciate your experience with the little Silvers I do not want Bantams. I'm hoping for big eggs in big numbers! I must admit I love the idea of a half dozen Rosecomb bantams running around, beautiful little birds. But that'll be a luxury not a real benefit so I'll wait.

This ultimately leads me to this question for you and others, Will a 2/3rd acre area surrounded by electric fence, with possibly other wire at the bottom, provide an area that my chickens will stay in? If not inside will they stay close so they can escape/fly/return to the enclosure?

Thanks,
Phillip

If you want big eggs in big numbers, you won't get that from fliers. Big eggs come from heavy breed hens. I think you'd be better off starting with sex-link hens or Rhode Island Reds. Either electrify a fence, or use a portable plastic electric fence if you are not allowed the fixed fence. The portable would have the advantage of allowing you to move it about. The large fenced area might allow them to range too far from cover and be vulnerable to hawks.

Given what you said about finances, I keep trying to steer you back to starting small.

Last edited:
Thanks Wombat

I do plan to start small, working on fleshing out the goat issues right now. Hope we can find an affordable local source of milk so I won't have to even have a goat. Really not looking forward to milking etc. In the mean time I'm putting together materials & planning. Should be able to lay my hands on some tin and other building materials within a couple of weeks to get started with coup/tractor build.

Phillip

Back
Top Bottom