Help me please! Chick with deformed feet

jaracahirsch

In the Brooder
May 15, 2021
Hello! My mom has been incubating chick eggs and turkey eggs for a few weeks now. I was away at college and now I am home and the chicks began to hatch yesterday morning. three of our eggs hatched with no problems but one egg was pipping for 12+ hours and seemed to be all turned around and unable to get out. Because of this my mom and I helped the chick hatch, but now, the chick has deformed feet. It is struggling to walk and its feet are not clubbed but her toes are not spread out if that makes sense? My mom is feeling terrible and anxious for us possibly harming this chick! We need your help, please! This is our first time hatching chicks so please, be gentle with us!

Hey, I am sorry about what is happening to your chick. I do not know much about hatching chicks.i may be able to ping some people I think might be able to help you. I think you should also post this in emergencies. You might get more replies. Good luck! I'll be back soon.

Hey, I am sorry about what is happening to your chick. I do not know much about hatching chicks.i may be able to ping some people I think might be able to help you. I think you should also post this in emergencies. You might get more replies. Good luck! I'll be back soon.
thank you! I look forward to hearing if you can help:)

Ok, they’re called corrective shoes. Basically, you spread the toes out into regular position, then put tape or a bandaid (really whatever you have that you think could work)

And put it on both sides of the feet, here’s a picture of what I mean (not my photo) you also don’t have to use the blue stuff, but you can if you want.
1F65D631-3D02-407E-95B2-DD5608AE325E.jpeg

Just saw this. Not a hundred percent sure what you should do.

Could you post pictures of the chick?

How deformed is it?
Hello,

I do not have any photos and I am not wanting to bother the chick by lifting it but I can hopefully explain better what is happening. The chick's feet (both feet) are looking smooshed together. The other chick's feet are spread apart like they are supposed to be (meaning the three toes are looking normal) this deformed chick's toes are smooshed almost into one big toe. I can try and get a photo.

Hello! My mom has been incubating chick eggs and turkey eggs for a few weeks now. I was away at college and now I am home and the chicks began to hatch yesterday morning. three of our eggs hatched with no problems but one egg was pipping for 12+ hours and seemed to be all turned around and unable to get out. Because of this my mom and I helped the chick hatch, but now, the chick has deformed feet. It is struggling to walk and its feet are not clubbed but her toes are not spread out if that makes sense? My mom is feeling terrible and anxious for us possibly harming this chick! We need your help, please! This is our first time hatching chicks so please, be gentle with us!
Usually the chicks hatch with their toes still curled up which might look deformed at first glance. During the following 2-3 days they will slowly spread their toes and get the right position.

If they still are curled up/deformed after 4 days, you can help them aling in the right position by using medical tape and taping them on a little precut piece of cardboard.

Back
Top Bottom