Help me please! Chick with deformed feet

What you might be able to do is take some tape or a bandaid and then make a little shoe for the chick... let me see if I can explain this better.
Oh, and is it both feet?

Attachments

• IMG-3922.jpg
    IMG-3922.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 9
Hello,

I do not have any photos and I am not wanting to bother the chick by lifting it but I can hopefully explain better what is happening. The chick's feet (both feet) are looking smooshed together. The other chick's feet are spread apart like they are supposed to be (meaning the three toes are looking normal) this deformed chick's toes are smooshed almost into one big toe. I can try and get a photo.
IMG-3922.jpg

Usually the chicks hatch with their toes still curled up which might look deformed at first glance. During the following 2-3 days they will slowly spread their toes and get the right position.

If they still are curled up/deformed after 4 days, you can help them aling in the right position by using medical tape and taping them on a little precut piece of cardboard.
I did not know this! The other three immediately had their toes spread out, though. That is why we figured this fourth chip was deformed.

I did not know this! The other three immediately had their toes spread out, though. That is why we figured this fourth chip was deformed.
They have their toes all plied up in the egg and when hatching and pushing at the eggshell with their feet, the feet start to unfold.
When helping the chick out of the egg, this important part is missing and it will take longer to get the feet aligned. You can help by using some terry cloth or something like this in the brooder for better grip and to prevent splayed legs:
1621098801849.png

They have their toes all plied up in the egg and when hatching and pushing at the eggshell with their feet, the feet start to unfold.
When helping the chick out of the egg, this important part is missing and it will take longer to get the feet aligned. You can help by using some terry cloth or something like this in the brooder for better grip and to prevent splayed legs:
View attachment 2670870
This is a totally normal position for a recently hatched chick.
I agree

This is a totally normal position for a recently hatched chick.
Okay, I will keep that in mind! like I said this is our first time so when the other three are already walking normally and this one has different feet, we got very scared. If by day 3/4 the chick still looks like this, should we splint?

Okay, I will keep that in mind! like I said this is our first time so when the other three are already walking normally and this one has different feet, we got very scared. If by day 3/4 the chick still looks like this, should we splint?
No splinting. Just cut out two little pieces of soft cardboard like little duck feet, position the chick's feet with aligned toes on top and then fix the toes with a little strip of medical tape to the cardboard like a snow shoe.

Use medical tape as this has to be taken off every 4-5 days and done anew as the chick's feet grow very quickly and might otherwise get deformed. Medical tape will keep the toes in place and when taking it off, will not tear the chick's skin off like some other tapes will.

Back
Top Bottom