Help me please! Chick with deformed feet

No splinting. Just cut out two little pieces of soft cardboard like little duck feet, position the chick's feet with aligned toes on top and then fix the toes with a little strip of medical tape to the cardboard like a snow shoe.

Use medical tape as this has to be taken off every 4-5 days and done anew as the chick's feet grow very quickly and might otherwise get deformed. Medical tape will keep the toes in place and when taking it off, will not tear the chick's skin off like some other tapes will.
I appreciate your help, How long should we do the shoes for?

I appreciate your help, How long should we do the shoes for?
It depends on the condition of the toes. After removing the first "shoes" after 4-5 days, let it walk for some hours without and assess the feet and position of the toes. Then repeat for another 4-5 days and so on.

Remember: this is only to be done if the toes will not be ok about 4 days after hatching.

If it's not correcting itself by the second day in the brooder, get a couple bandaids, and on one side of the sticky part, very gently place the toes in the proper position. Fold the other sticky part on top, running your fingernail in between the toes to seal it. Carefully trim away the excess. Repeat on other foot. Check in 2 days. NEVER leave their toes in a boot, or their legs hobbled for more than 2 days, without changing out the bandaging. Their legs, and feet easily grow enough in 2 days, that the older bandaging can be constrictive, cut off circulation some, etc. That's counterproductive. Usually in a couple days things are ok, however, if you need to re-do the boot, another 2 days should do just fine. Don't wait past a couple days, since their bones have not fully hardened, and are more pliable, making it much easier to correct the problem.

Attachments

• index1.jpg
    index1.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 5
If it's not correcting itself by the second day in the brooder, get a couple bandaids, and on one side of the sticky part, very gently place the toes in the proper position. Fold the other sticky part on top, running your fingernail in between the toes to seal it. Carefully trim away the excess. Repeat on other foot. Check in 2 days. NEVER leave their toes in a boot, or their legs hobbled for more than 2 days, without changing out the bandaging. Their legs, and feet easily grow enough in 2 days, that the older bandaging can be constrictive, cut off circulation some, etc. That's counterproductive. Usually in a couple days things are ok, however, if you need to re-do the boot, another 2 days should do just fine. Don't wait past a couple days, since their bones have not fully hardened, and are more pliable, making it much easier to correct the problem.
awesome! Yes somebody else had mentioned doing the shoes on day 3/4 if the chick does not uncurl her toes on her own! Thank you!

Does anyone know any information on riboflavin? I bought some but have no idea what quantity I should add to their water.

Back
Top Bottom