Help me please.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by taraann81, Jun 21, 2009.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I can't stop incubating. This is almost not funny. I am at my max for birds anyways yet I can't stop filling up my incubator. Whenever I take eggs out and put them in the hatcher I fill those empty spots immediately with any eggs I can find. If I can't find any interesting eggs, I fill those spots with my readily available 'scovy eggs. I don't need more 'scovies!

I know this seems funny and I admit it sort of is but it is seriously becoming a problem.

Give me good logical reasons to stop! My DH will thank you!

(also I get so attached to these babies I never want to sell any!)

2. IggiMom

IggiMom Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    An addiction will not respond to logic.[​IMG]

Tell your DH that if it wasn't eggs you wanted to hatch out it would be babies, like that woman who had her doc help her have, what was it, eight I think.[​IMG]

Think of THAT!

A few little chicks are NOTHING compared to the bad habits you COULD have.[​IMG]

Catherine

3. taraann81

taraann81 Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I must be psychic! I knew I just knew I would find an enabler on here!

Your right though, nothing would actually make me stop!

4. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I would rather think of it as a hobby... people spend alot of money and time on hobbies and I can also think of worse ways to spend your time and money.

You are a nurturer. You are who you are as am I. I have 3 incubators going right now. I am trying to find a balance though.

Just make sure you pay attention to the DH, kids and other critters and it is all good.

5. ChickenTiff

ChickenTiff In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Texas
    Hi My name is Tiffany and I have an incubator addiction,,,,waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

6. dixiechick

dixiechick Songster

I just cut my flock in half by selling at a local swap...what do I do? Come home and put more eggs in the incubator than the number of birds I just got rid of! Sorry, no help here either. But we can all go therapy together! [​IMG]

7. taraann81

taraann81 Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I guess I will just have to start selling some chicks. This year I only have 'scovies supplying me with eggs. Next year I will have turkeys, Rock barrs, silkies, chanteclers and some mixed bantams. My oh My. I need another bator.

8. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Songster

Apr 7, 2008
    I had that problem when I started raising chickens. My silkies would start to go broody & I would let them hatch out chicks. I eventually relized I had a problem when I didn't know how many chickens I had. When I finally counted I had 121 total of silkie hens/roosters/chicks. It about killed me to start selling them off. I now have a 25 silkie limit. I hatched out a whooping 7 silkie chicks this year along with 8 polish frizzles. I'm waiting another month to see how many hens I'm getting from the chicks & then I have to make the decision on who gets sold. I love to hatch chicks, but I hate to sell my birds & I'm happy with my flock. I doubt I'll even hatch chicks next year - I'll just have to go to the feed store & stare at the fuzzy butts to get my chick fix!

9. cackle

cackle Songster

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I knew I had a problem when I could not go a week without the incubator running. My DH was getting a little put out and we had no place to for the hatchlings to live. So I sold 20 silkies and my incubator.Very hard but I had to do it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. taraann81

taraann81 Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I think that is a great idea. Set a limit and stick to it no matter how many you have to sell. I hope chicks are easy to sell, or give away for that matter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: