Help me predator proof my Greenhouse Duck Run

graypes

Songster
Jun 19, 2020
Hi all! I have an (approximately) 11* 12 ft greenhouse duck run that I lovingly constructed for my 5 ducks. I had the thought to do a combo space because I want to keep both my ducks and plants safe from the lake effect snow and winter colds here in Western Michigan.

Now that I have it up, I am definitely realizing the issues, such as water and waste drainage as well as ventilation/circulation... which will all be in a later and separate thread... but right now I am just trying to secure it for the winter. I know in the area we have all sorts of wild critters, both big and small. Since the soil is very sandy, I am definitely concerned with the smaller digging predators like the mustelids (weasels/stoats/ermine/mink) since I know there is at least one nearby.

This is only their run, and their separate coop is predator proof already. They will only be out here during daylight, but I understand predators might get bolder in the winter time, so I just wanna make sure I cover my bases. I'll attach a pic in a sec, but basically, what is the best way for me to predator proof this? The structure is surrounded by the porch/patio's concrete foundation on two sides, not sure how deep either of those go. I've got hardware cloth and the smallest gauge chicken wire I could find, but not sure how to apply them to the structure.

The greenhouse plastic has to go on the outside, and is only partially secure rn as I am still working on it. I know usually those "predator skirts" go on the outside, but I don't wanna rip the plastic, so is there a way I could do that on the inside?

I am a total novice in coop/run construction and handiwork so any advice is welcome!

EF4A03C3-FE05-421B-8BC0-A297752258D0.jpeg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I am wondering how you are ventilating it for the ducks?
As far as predator proofing, can you secure hardware cloth to the PVC? I would imagine you would have to make it arc along the PVC pipe to secure it.

Also, you will want to make it so that the predators can't dig under the frame of the greenhouse. Making a hardware cloth apron might help with that.
Sorry for the late reply! I totally agree. How does one go about digging for an apron? Is there some mystery tool that will dig a trench for you or is it time to shovel? I think I would have to put the apron on outside the plastic, as there are raised beds (or as I call them, the 'duck lair' lol) inside on one side that would be pretty difficult to dig under/maneuver the hardware cloth around. any advice?

I am wondering how you are ventilating it for the ducks?
As far as predator proofing, can you secure hardware cloth to the PVC? I would imagine you would have to make it arc along the PVC pipe to secure it.
I am using wood and making little 'windows' in the frame that will hinge from the top, but will only swing out a a couple inches to make vents that rain and snow can't blow in (if that makes sense). That way I can close it at night for the plants (though that doesn't really help much temperature wise lol). The vent partwill be covered with hardware cloth!

The structure right now is not completely sealed off (for ventilation purposes), so they *have* had a VERY ventilated run (in case anyone sees this and is worried about my ducks choking on poop fumes) lolololol

Back
Top Bottom