HELP ME PROTECT MY FLOCK

MyBackyard

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 21, 2007
We have a small flock of seven hens and are getting this weekend 4 new bantams and I am
worried about problems like mytes. The little ones look fine but I did notice them picking at their new feathers a little. The legs and vents look good no signs of problems. If anyone has suggestions of things I can do to take an proactive aproach.

Picking is a normal grooming thing. They have to rearrange thier feathers from time to time..and if they are moulting...will pull the loose feathers out. IF you think there are mites...there are several options for dusting them.....

DE...food grade.
Poultry Dust
7 Dust.
Ashes from a wood stove for them to dust in( make sure there are no nails and such.)

Congrats on your new babies coming!

Hi mybackyard, congrats on your chickens.
Provide a nice dust bath by way of a dirt shallow circular hole, only needs to be minimum 1 1/2 feet diameter. Place in this some old ashes or some DE powder. this will keep them healthy, happy, cool and warm!!!

Thanks for all the advice
smile.png
... I just was worried I would bring home mytes or some other problem to my girls. I bought my first last march from McMurray. These are comming from a lady here in town. They are so cute.... I have full size now these are minitures....

I am putting them in a seperate pen about 8 ft away from the others. When we started back in March we bought a 12X24 barn with a front porch to convert into our Chicken Villa as we call it. I enclosed the left side for my ladies and now I am working on the right for the new little girls, leaving the middle open for storage. Will 8 ft distance be enough for safety?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom