HELP ME QUICK!!!!

Have you ever seen or used Hatch Rite spray on your eggs? I think a Ag company makes it! You add water to it and mist eggs before you set them. Well it says mist chicken eggs ! time before setting and mist duck eggs 1 time a week! I got that and do it but don't know if anyone has had good or bad results! I guess it adds nutrition through shell for health and growth.

I haven't heard of it, but I mist duck eggs daily after day 10 with warm water (and cool them) and have had good results. I use this guide for hatching Muscovy eggs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-and-hatching-muscovy-eggs.

The misting/cooling mimics what a broody does. Personally, I'd be leery of spraying additives on my hatching eggs. Others may feel differently.

Thanks, That's great to know! I just do NOT want to spend one more dime on a bator that don't quite work. I also need to quit thinking I need one that holds a kazoo of eggs, LOL! Also, would you guys suggest I only go for a new one or would buying used be ok? Is the 1588 forced air? I almost got a Farm Innovators bator today, but by asking ?'s got a little worried about that one! You guys here on BYC are helping me so much! Thanks Nita

I have Blue Swedish Duck set right now! They are on day 9!
thumbsup.gif

I almost got a Farm Innovators bator today, but by asking ?'s got a little worried about that one! You guys here on BYC are helping me so much! Thanks Nita
Everyone I know local returned the farm innovator for a refund----some were very upset that they lost their expensive eggs. I was at TS one day for about a hour and 3 different people I do not know were returning them.

I like the 1602n with the fan kit----mine hatch good. The 2 in my pic are home-made and they hatch GREAT.

Last edited:
The 1588 is a thermal (forced) air model (the 1602N is a still air). I found that the fan makes a huge difference in the temperature regulation and in quickly raising the humidity after opening it.

I bought a new, unopened, 1588 on eBay for $125 with free shipping and bought a Little Giant autoturner for about $40 on Amazon. The LG autoturner works just fine and was cheaper than the Hova-Bator one.

The 1588's capacity is apparently 50 eggs, but I think trying to actually hatch that many would feel pretty crowded. Even so, did you want to hatch more than that?

Styrofoam isn't the easiest to clean and can stain fairly easily; personally, I'd go with a new one if possible to avoid the risk of bacterial contamination. If you buy a used one, you'll want to disinfect it thoroughly before using it.

Happy hatching!

OK, Great! glad to know the extra info about me a turner for it! LOL, I think 50 at a time will be fine! I use the Brinsea disinfectant in my bators. 1 more ? can I adjust temp. on 1588 up to hatch other eggs? I was looking at Peafowl and others that would require a higher temp.! If I get brave I may try a Emu egg again, LOL!

OK, Great! glad to know the extra info about me a turner for it! LOL, I think 50 at a time will be fine! I use the Brinsea disinfectant in my bators. 1 more ? can I adjust temp. on 1588 up to hatch other eggs? I was looking at Peafowl and others that would require a higher temp.! If I get brave I may try a Emu egg again, LOL!
The temperature comes preset but it can be adjusted.

Here's a link to the guide that comes with the unit: https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/doc/15/1588 Genesis TUV.pdf.

More info from the manufacturer here: http://www.gqfmfg.com/hova-bator-instructions.

An emu egg...one big chick must hatch from that!
1f604.png

I'll chime in because I've had both the Hova-Bator 1602N and the 1588...go with the 1588 Genesis. The digital controls will help you prevent losing your mind trying to adjust the temperature on the 1602N innumerable times (ok, I exaggerate very slightly). The wafer thermostat on the 1602N was a real pain to deal with - so much so that I returned the blasted 1602N and bought the 1588...and was much happier.

For the last two years I've used an old LG 9200 and I've had great hatches, but it's a lot more work and monitoring the temps to get those hatches. This last hatch one side of the heating element was way off.

Have you ever seen or used Hatch Rite spray on your eggs? I think a Ag company makes it! You add water to it and mist eggs before you set them. Well it says mist chicken eggs ! time before setting and mist duck eggs 1 time a week! I got that and do it but don't know if anyone has had good or bad results! I guess it adds nutrition through shell for health and growth.  

I never have either.

Thanks, That's great to know! I just do NOT want to spend one more dime on a bator that don't quite work. I also need to quit thinking I need one that holds a kazoo of eggs, LOL! Also, would you guys suggest I only go for a new one or would buying used be ok? Is the 1588 forced air? I almost got a Farm Innovators bator today, but by asking ?'s got a little worried about that one! You guys here on BYC are helping me so much! Thanks Nita

I'd go new too if you can afford it.

The temperature comes preset but it can be adjusted.

Here's a link to the guide that comes with the unit: https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/doc/15/1588 Genesis TUV.pdf.

More info from the manufacturer here: http://www.gqfmfg.com/hova-bator-instructions.

An emu egg...one big chick must hatch from that!
1f604.png

Heck, would it even fit in a table top bator? Lol

Last edited:
May I ask what kind of development you see at day 9 with your ducks? Like I said I have Blue Swedish set and feel like I'm not quite seeing development as I should on day 9! I candled just a bit ago and don't see movement. All I read is on chicken and what I should see with them.

Back
Top Bottom