Help me reboot my ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by billmac, Apr 12, 2011.

1. billmac

billmac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    I got welsh harlequins last spring, and at the right time, they started laying. 9 ducks, 9 eggs. As fall turned into winter, a few got broody and my production went down, 6-7 eggs a day. The trouble is that I had heat lamps on the waterer. So they had 24 hr a day light. Now they don't have the heat lamp on and I'm getting two eggs a day. I know I could force them into a moult with no lights, but it is springtime, so there is more natural light. I've got them on a timed light (about 15 hrs), but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Any ideas?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I found that light is only part of the story. Broodiness, heat, stress, food, and probably other things affect laying.

With my ten runners we were down to three eggs a day in late fall. For other reasons, I brought them into a pen that gets no colder than 45 F. Within a week, maybe two, there were four, then five, then up to nine eggs a day. Then it dropped, a few got broody, and so forth. Then it went back up again. Sometimes I get an extra egg a day or two after a boost with vitamins, which I give just to fortify their immune systems - once a week or so.

So I would think about what kind of stresses they are under, including other animals, activity, etc. I know what Storey's Guide says, but my flock hasn't read the book, so sometimes they depart from its wisdom.

3. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    Hold down the power button for three seconds then let off it. That should re-boot them.

I couldn't help myself :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by