HELP me sex my Americaunas

momtoangels

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
I have 3 americauna chickens.

I know the one in the back middle is a roo. (besides the obvious, he is crowing)
What about the other two??

These are the two I'm wondering about...

Thank you!!

Looks like two roos and a hen, to my self-taught eye.

It's hard to tell, but one key can be the saddle feathers. The ones on the back between the end of the wings and the beginning of the tail.

On most breeds, males will have long, slender feathers there that hang down. Females will have wider and shorter feathers there.

This isn't true of all birds ... but I think I can see those long wispy saddle feathers on one of your mystery birds, so he is probably a cockerel.

Hope this helps!

-Sara

there's 2 cockerels and 1 pullet coloring and comb. that deep red on the wings like that means cockerel every time. in the 2nd pic you can see at least 2 of his long slender saddle feathers then you have the 2 sickle feathers of the tail. those would also be ee's as Ameraucana's do not come in those colors. plus the lack of beard on the last cockerel in the last pic as well

Two roos and one hen. You didn't ask, but they really don't look like aracauanas to me, or even easter eggers. The overall shape and carriage looks off, as well as the wing set. And does one of the boys have feathered legs?

Two roos and one hen. You didn't ask, but they really don't look like aracauanas to me, or even easter eggers. The overall shape and carriage looks off, as well as the wing set. And does one of the boys have feathered legs?
ee's are a mix breed meaning they can really look like anything there is no set look for them. yes some things are common on them such as a beard and green legs but since they are mixed and you dont know how many generations back the AM or other ee was used then you can get a chicken that really looks like anything

Back
Top Bottom