Help me sleep better: coyote protection

There are very few breeds of dog that will hold their own against even a single Coyote. Plus most dogs will sleep through the night and will not be effective unless there are sounds that will wake them.

Acording to this article a Coyote can jump an 8ft fence and they have been seen climbing a 14ft chain link fence.

http://www.desertusa.com/june96/du_cycot.html

FYI: You don't have to hot wire your entire property. I hot wire animal pens and the coop. For coyotes, put the wire down low, just around the outside of the pen. My poultry coop is hotwired around the roof because of coons.

Here is a pic: I'm not sure how well they show up in the picture, but if you see the yellow things sticking out all around the top, those are insulators. The wire is wrapped around them and plugged into a hot box. You can rig them with timers too so they don't turn on until dusk and turn off in the morning.

9074abc6-0ae4-4ca8-bd64-89a832c84692.jpg

ETA: Forgot the pic. Doh!

Last edited:
~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

I attached 1/2" hardware cloth that aprons out a foot all around the run. I do lock them up in the house at night but still don't want anything digging under trying to get in.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/24846_001.jpg

Thank you so much for this picture! This is what I had in mind, and I couldn't describe it to DH to help me put it on. I think we'll do it this weekend. I have extra hardware cloth and a staple gun so it won't cost me a dime. Why not? BTW, adorable coop!!! I love it!!!!

I would NOT expect or allow my 8-year old Saint to take on a coyote, I'm just hoping those copious amounts of large male dog pee that yellow my yard may give the coyotes a second thought... He would absolutely sleep through an attack unless I got up and he thought I was going downstairs to feed him!

I am starting to think fordmommy is probably right, I'm just freaking because I'm new to all of this, and would feel like a total failure of a human being if I let my girls get eaten in my own yard. But if I start to hear howling, I am so going to find a way to put a hotwire around things.........​

Quote:
This is a great article! Thank you! I especially liked the sound byte. Now I know what to listen for, although they do sound more like neighborhood dogs barking than I would have thought.

We have an au pair living with us from Turkey who doens't know what a coyote is, so I will show her this later. Then she can be our daytime lookout!

If they didn't want to eat my girls, I would say they are pretty cute, really!

It's when all is quiet that you need to be on guard but you actually have one advantage on your side. Coyotes are basically lazy and will not work all that hard to get to the birds unless food is short, like during a hard winter. Through summer they can sustain themselves on bugs, grasses and rodents.

I don't see coyotes coming in your yard with a St. Bernard in it. Just don't.

Now, there may be some brave ones if they are hungry enough. But a big dog should be ample deterrent in a suburban neighborhood.

Quote:
Those dogs are just just like llamas and sheep dogs. They live with and protect their herd. But when they are used for that purpose, they tend not to be that friendly with people. Do lots of research and find out if that's really the breed you want to go with. And if you want to start with an adult dog or go with a pup.

Quote:
We LOVE our Saint. He's excellent with the baby and the cats smack him around. He is calm around the horses, but he takes most things in stride. I would not want to try him around the loose chickens. In their coop he just sniffs around but doesn't make any move to try to get in. Saints are really low energy, he's a couch potato in the house. He mostly eats, sleeps, and sheds. And all 130 pounds of him sleeps in bed with us of course...

I don't know that much about Great Pyrenees, but I believe they are more active, so they need a lot more exercise or some sort of job to do. Make sure you know why he needs a new home. And like Fordmommy said, that it's really the kind of dog you want for your family. I've read somewhere that another deterrent is to have your husband pee around the perimeter of your property! (I wish I could find that reference, no one believes me!)

So far going on week 2 and whether it's because of the giant dog pee in the yard or because the coyotes aren't interested, no bad stuff yet!

Back
Top Bottom