Help me to isolate my coop plz :)

winchester512

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 6, 2012
Hi everybody!

The winter is coming and my little coop needs to be isolated to keep my 3 hens warm, what's the best way to isolate? should I glass wool?! The temperatures here, sometimes in winter falls to 3-4 fahrenheit. Should I use a lamp or not?!

If you insulate your coop, it potentially cause more problems.
-you will have to cover the insulation, and if your coop is anywhere near air tight you will have a problem with moisture.
-You want to make sure there is no draft on the chickens
I know it sound like the same thing, but it isn't. As long as your chickens aren't showing distress, you really don't need a heat lamp. The exception would be for youngsters and if they get wet or otherwise chilled. If you are really worries about the cold, a heated roost may be a safer option
http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/26/

Chickens are one of the most insulated animals in the world. They need to be out of the wind.....and have ventilation. Heat lamps are more dangerous as a fire hazard, than the cold is. Chickens can take 0 degrees quite well.

I have a large 20x20 coop with about 20 hens. Alot more space than required. I also have two open screen windows in the coop that stay open year round. Temp in winter can get down to negative temps. I use a wall heater. They sit by it when they are cold and they lay at night huddled next to each other. I would not insulate them. If you want to use a heat lamp in one corner they could use it when they need it but I wouldn't do much more than that. You will probbaly find they are really good at keeping themselves warm. Their comb might get frostbit by I've heard that visoline helps but I've never done that bc I don't show my hens or roos. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom