Help me Troubleshoot this High Needs FTT Chick 5 Days Old

RhodeIslandBred

Chirping
Aug 2, 2020
I am new to naturally hatching out chicks and with the addition to the rooster to my flock, I decided to let my broody girls sit. I Had some success with two hens and have hatched out two super healthy birds and a failure to thrive that is still fighting at 5 days. It's got a lot going on and I don't feel at all equipped to figure this out on my own. Here's what we got going on: my hen hatched out 3 eggs, one had organs spilling out of its umbilicus and was deceased, another chick got caught up in the mess and I found it dried and caught up in bedding. I washed and dried it as best i could, didn't notice any significant injuries besides being a little uncoordinated and very small so I put it back with mom. It never really got up from under her and she started to peck at it so I separated and quarantined. The chick hasn't had any success eating or drinking on its own. After switching from shavings to a puppy pad it became clear it had a foot injury as it has been limping and avoiding putting weight on one of its toes and it might also have wry neck or a neck injury as it cant bend its neck down and it is always outstretched, head is forward not looking backwards. It eats voraciously when I feed it from a bottle cap, it's been getting electrolyte, probiotics, ground chick starter, blended fruits, and yogurt. I added flaxseed oil too because I didn't have any vitamin E on hand. It gets a really full crop but it looks like it's off to one side and into the shoulder just above the wing? Also worth noting that the chick is hatched out from a 1 year young EE, both our EEs are the smallest of the flock the other two EE eggs were both sinkers at 22 days. FTT chick is getting stronger and very loud now when it's hungry. It is having an easier time getting around and using its lame foot more but I'm also considering that it could also be blind. Poor thing has everything going against it but keeps on rocking in the free world and I feel like I owe it my best shot if it's so intent on living. Any and all help is appreciated!!!

With all the things you've identified as wrong with this chick, it's really hard, and its prospects are poor; you might want to consider whether you are prolonging its death rather than saving its life.

With all the things you've identified as wrong with this chick, it's really hard, and its prospects are poor; you might want to consider whether you are prolonging its death rather than saving its life.
Thanks I have sincerely considered that, I do feel like it's on hospice at this point I'm honestly shocked it's made it this far. At what point do you give up, I know the flock will probably never accept it especially if it's a wonky bird. Do I just stop offering food and water or kindly cull it? 🥺

I would kindly cull it. That's not easy either, but I think it's better than prolonging the suffering if there's no real prospect of them living a normal chicken life.
Thanks for the guidance. I did decide to cull it, my first time having to do that and it was definitely tough. I feel like it was definitely the best choice and feel relieved that it's no longer suffering.

Indeed. Better luck with the next hatch :hugs

I have found by experience that well-intentioned interventions only delay the inevitable, and that natural chicken-raising (using a broody, raising chicks within the flock, free-ranging dawn till dusk, not medicating) typically results in about 50% of a clutch making it to adulthood. It's tough, but the flock that results has excellent disease-resistance, predator awareness, and long lives, and I am comforted to believe that those who don't make it to adulthood at least had a more natural/ nicer life than they would have done under other management systems.

Back
Top Bottom