Help me understand Blue Laced Red Wyandotte color genetics!

Oh maybe you can help me understand. We have 2 red laced wyandottes from really reputable breeders. We wanted more so we bred them - as you said we 50%splash and 50% BLR. The problem is that one BLR cockerel has a single comb??? One hen (or so I think) has a rose comb with a spike in the back and the other 2 cockerels have a rose comb with a spike in the back. How did we get a single comb? Is the spike ok for this breed? And is my hen really a cockerel who is a slow bloomer?

Thank you

I’m not expert but Single Comb is not desirable for Wyandottes. The parents of the rooster both must carry the gene for the single comb. Meaning that both parents are Rr. Meaning that 25% of offspring will be homozygous, 50% will be heterozygous and 25% will be single combs.
Would you have a picture of the hen?
If you look at this picture it shows the comb, it’s not desirable, also known as the fly away leader. You can fix it, but will require a good Cockerel. If you breed to the Cockerel you have the comb will vary. If the ‘hen’ is Rr like her parents she will produce 50% Single Combs if bred with the rooster. If she’s is RR she will produce all Rose Comb Chicks, but all chicks will be Rr.

Attachments

• 3B12E5ED-FC9E-47C2-946E-F919BCC41315.jpeg
    3B12E5ED-FC9E-47C2-946E-F919BCC41315.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 28
Hi great discussion and info here. Glad I came across it. My question is...if I have a blue splash Wyandotte rooster, over a BLR Wyandotte hen, would that= 100% BLR progeny?

If you mean a Splash Laced Red Cockerel, then the offspring of the two should be 50% of BLR and 50% of SLR.

I know I'm years late on this conversation, but was wondering what the offspring would look like if I bred a lavender Ameraucana rooster, with a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hen, as far as the lavender/bluing is concerned?
Also, what is the difference between lavender, blue, self blue, etc...
And is the "blue" on the BLRW the same genetic dilution/color as my lavender Ameraucana?

I know I'm years late on this conversation, but was wondering what the offspring would look like if I bred a lavender Ameraucana rooster, with a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hen, as far as the lavender/bluing is concerned?
Also, what is the difference between lavender, blue, self blue, etc...
And is the "blue" on the BLRW the same genetic dilution/color as my lavender Ameraucana?
Blue and Lavender (Self Blue) are not the same things. They are two different genes.

1200557494699316.Mz3xBaiprBwSyKgz704r_height640.png

Lavender_Breeding_Chart.png

what the offspring would look like if I bred a lavender Ameraucana rooster, with a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hen, as far as the lavender/bluing is concerned?
Visually you would only get Black and Blue offspring. Lavender requires two copies of the gene to express and be seen visually. As the father can only pass one copy of the gene and the mother doesn't have one to pass, no chick can visually be Lavender.

The Blue gene is a little different. It similarly acts on Black but can express differently, depending on how many genes a bird carries. All Blue and Splash birds are still Black; they have one (Blue) or two (Splash) genes resulting in a different color. So again, dad can't pass a Blue gene to his offspring. Mom can only pass one. So the chicks would be Black or Blue.

Genetically half of the chicks would carry the gene for Lavender. But you can't tell by looking. You'd have to breed them to one another or back to their father to produce any visually Lavender birds. It's possible that you'd get some birds with red/gold leakage (especially in males) from the F1 cross due to the lacing gene.

Back
Top Bottom